2nd Garage Light Fixture Doesn't Work?

Old 06-18-14, 04:25 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2nd Garage Light Fixture Doesn't Work?

We just bought a foreclosure and I have 2 light fixtures (each has 4 long fluorescent lights) inside my garage. There are two different light switches that control both lights. I changed out all the bulbs because only 1 out of the 8 long fluorescent lights were working. After changing the bulbs, only one of the the fixtures works. I checked the breaker and also the connections in each of the light fixtures and everything looked good. Just trying to find the solution, anyone lead me in the right direction? I guess I need to look at each switch, but not sure what the look for there. Thanks!

Old 06-18-14, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If both lights are receiving power, and you changed the bulbs, the only thing left is the ballast(s). I would seriously consider replacing the fixtures with either T5 or T8 fixtures. Most likely what you have is older T12 and besides being climate incompatible, they are being phased out. Incidentally, ballasts will exceed the cost of new fixtures in most cases.

Old 06-23-14, 05:58 AM
A
The fixture was getting power, I just checked that. I got a new ballast at lowes, we'll see if that works. It was half the price of a new fixture. Thanks!

Old 06-24-14, 04:22 AM
A
Received 163 Upvotes on 136 Posts
Just a heads up on the ballast. Make sure the ballast you bought matches the type of bulbs that are to be used in the fixture and the number of bulbs in the fixture and of course voltage. It will be marked on the ballast.

Old 07-06-14, 05:55 AM
A
Worked great!

I switched out the ballast with some wire nuts and it works great.I just cut the old ballast wires off and reattached them to the new ballast. It was an easy fix, thanks for the advice. The house was built in 2005 and the new ballast was the exact one that is already in there, just picked it up at Lowes.

Old 07-06-14, 06:40 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Good job. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: