Thank you, kind of

Old 06-20-14, 01:48 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Thank you, kind of

I posted a thread here a few weeks back when I was having trouble installing a basic chandelier fixture. I felt that the mod was kind of rude and closed my thread after a week because it was "brought to his attention" that I live in an apartment.

Needless to say, it wasn't a very good experience for me. However, I did want to say that the moderator was correct -- it turned out the problem was with the switch, not the electric box. I didn't think that could be it, because the switch had been working fine prior to the new installation. However, after more research, I learned that dimmer switches can blow very easily, even if a fuse doesn't blow.

I ended up wrapping most of the wires from the box in electric tape because the canvas insulation was crumbling. Then I did the basic chandelier install, and replaced the dimmer (twice - they really are fragile!). I was concerned about damaging the switch plate because of how it was situated, and indeed, it cracked when I removed it. But now I can get a snazzy new plate, so it's all good.

So again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The new chandelier looks great! The fact that I spent over twenty hours struggling with it just makes me love it more. Maybe this will help someone else who is having trouble with dimmers.

Old 06-20-14, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Thanks for your response and glad you got it working. I re-read through the posts of the original thread and it did seem that you were reluctant to do things requested to help us help you. Removing cover plates for one.

It is a standing policy that we do not encourage tenants of apartment buildings to tackle any modification work. Mainly for liability reasons. You delve into an electrical problem, cause an electrical short and burn down the building. Someone wants to remove a wall to enlarge their small living room. the ceiling collapses due to the lack of structure.

That is the main reason the thread was closed. It isn't that we didn't want to help you, but we can't get involved in advising tenants, as it could place the forums in a liability situation. I hope you understand, and no one was being rude, incidentally. Ray was running up against a brick wall everywhere he went, so it was frustrating.

Welcome back anytime!

Old 06-20-14, 03:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Taping the wires may make it safer but this is something you need to report to the owner. Given the condition of the wiring I'd be nervous to go to sleep at night. You do have both photoelectric and ionization smoke detectors that are working don't you?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: