Replacing kitchen light with ceiling fan & light -- 3 way wiring questions

Old 06-21-14, 09:11 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing kitchen light with ceiling fan & light -- 3 way wiring questions

New member hoping for some advice.

I'd like to replace an overhead kitchen light, which is 3-way wired, with a ceiling fan and light. My current situation is:
14/2 romex from the panel to switch A, hot/black to common. Leaving switch A is 14/3 traveler to switch B. Also leaving switch A is 14/2 leg to existing light. Also in switch A's box incoming white neutral and light leg white neutral are nutted together.

I'd like to have the new ceiling fan light controlled by the two existing switches and have the fan constantly hot to be controlled by its pull chain. My guess is I need another conductor as part of the light leg -- for example replacing the 14/2 light leg with a 14/3 run. The huge sticking point is that the walls, ceiling, and crown molding are beautifully old plaster on lath which would make fishing an new wire next to impossible. So first question: Is running another conductor to the light/fan my only option?

Second idea/question might be crazy but it would be easier. Passing through the existing ceiling light box (which will be replaced with a fan mount box) is another 14/2 run that goes to a separate over the sink light with its switch downstream. This run is on a completely separate circuit. Question: Can I treat the ceiling fan motor and the ceiling fan lights as if they are independent devices, connecting the fan lights to the existing light circuit and connecting the fan motor to the available over the sink circuit. I've looked at the fan & light kit and it would be very easy to add a wire such that the motor and light have separate neutrals. I think this will work but I'm wondering if I missing a safety or code issue.

Your insights on both or either questions much appreciated.

Old 06-21-14, 09:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Can I treat the ceiling fan motor and the ceiling fan lights as if they are independent devices, connecting the fan lights to the existing light circuit and connecting the fan motor to the available over the sink circuit. I've looked at the fan & light kit and it would be very easy to add a wire such that the motor and light have separate neutrals.
If you can isolate the neutrals that would be code.

Old 06-21-14, 05:17 PM
O
Thanks Ray. No issues with two separate circuits being in the fan housing (that is, running down the rod and through the motor center hole to the lights)?

Old 06-21-14, 06:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
that is, running down the rod and through the motor center hole to the lights
Yes, that was what I meant. You might want to make the original neutral connection for the light unusable or at least tag it so someone later won't try to use it.

Old 06-21-14, 07:58 PM
O
Thanks again Ray. Will remove the original neutral completely. Sure appreciate your help!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: