Ceiling Fixture + Outlet, possible?

Old 06-29-14, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fixture + Outlet, possible?

Hello... I am wondering if there are such things as ceiling fixtures with outlets built in. I currently have a fan installed in my basement that is controlled by two switches (one for the lights, one for the fan). I would like to instead install a ceiling fixture with light(s) suitable for a 16'x18' room and a projector, the latter needing an outlet to plug into.

Is it possible given the current setup, and do they already build fixtures comprised like this? Please let me know what other information I can provide, have not worked with wiring very much before, thank you for your responses.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-14, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I haven't seen a receptacle in a fixture in many years and when they were available it was mostly in wall bathroom fixtures.

In your large area application a fixture with a receptacle would be of no benefit anyway.

What type of ceiling are you working with there..... 2x2 drop, 2x4 drop, sheetrock, splice... ?

Old 06-29-14, 01:28 PM
Hi PJ, the ceiling is drywall/Sheetrock .

Old 07-14-14, 10:43 AM
Hi packs,
Don't know if you're still looking at responses for your project, but don't you also need to run a tv cable/USB/cat 5/hdmi to the projector as well? If so, you have to open the ceiling anyway so you can also run power directly to the projectors location as well.