Hps wiring

Old 06-29-14, 08:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hps wiring

Hi I'm new here, I am a Maintenance tech at an apartment community. I have been replacing some faulty Core & Coil Ballast kits and bulbs. I am working with an ADVANCE Core & Coil Ballast kit (71A8007-001 DB).

When I pulled the old ones out they weren't wired per the schematic.

The 2 commom leads off the transformer were wired to one side of the capacitor. The other side of the capacitor was wired to the lamp common and the common lead coming into the fixture. The hots were correct.

This dosen't seem correct or is there an alternate method I'm unaware of ?

Old 06-29-14, 11:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,138 Upvotes on 3,716 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It is very likely that the original wiring was different than what your diagram shows for the new kit. The important question is.... is the replacement kit working correctly in your fixtures ?

Name:  hps.JPG
Views: 2495
Size:  28.7 KB

This was the diagram I got from the ballast company but it doesn't look correct. It shows the capacitor directly across the line. Does this match what you are following ?

Old 06-30-14, 03:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is the diagram I have, it dosen't match the existing wiring, how can the diagram from the manufacturer be wrong? The light works how I found them though. I made a test set, wired per the manufacturer diagram and the light comes on for a minute then shuts off , the bulb is brand new. Gonna do some more testing today. The replacement kits are working(wired the same way I found the exiting ones)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: