Outdoor Light Bulb shaking and flickering

Old 07-05-14, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Light Bulb shaking and flickering

We have a light fixture outside the back door which we have never had a problem with. We hardly turn it on.

But today we had some work done on replacing our deck which has no electric wires going thru it. I turned on that light tonight to work during dark and I noticed it started to do a shake (back and forth 3 times in 5 seconds) and has a flicker.

I'll replace it with a new bulb tomorrow so I hope that fixes the problem. but does it sound something straight forward as that or do you think I may have some electric issue going on with the light fixture? Have you heard of a bulb doing this out of the blue? It scared my wife as she was afarid it may start a fire or something so we just have left it off tonight.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-14, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 233 Votes on 213 Posts
What is shaking the whole light fixture, just the bulb inside the fixture or the filament inside the bulb?

I'm wondering if there was an earth tremor. Not noticeable to you but the light on top of the pole resonated back and forth as the ground moved slightly.

Old 07-06-14, 06:18 AM
Received 74 Votes on 69 Posts
As Pdane says, if its just the filament flickering, the bulb is ready to burn out. But if the whole fixture is moving (can you move it with your hand?) then yes it was disturbed in some fashion. Also due to hot and cold changes maybe the fittings and connections may have come loose and just need tightening.

Old 07-06-14, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your prompt responses.

It was only the bulb that was shaking and flickering.

I took a look at the fixture details online, and it says the bulb should at most be 60W. The one that was left on there from the previous owner was 120W!!!

I switched it out and installed one of those newer 30W bulbs this morning and no problems so far. Sure the light isn't as strong, but its ok as we barely use that light. I hope this fixes the problem.