Question to confirm ceiling fan wiring for switch and remote

Old 07-07-14, 11:52 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question to confirm ceiling fan wiring for switch and remote

Hi all,

I am putting up a ceiling fan in the baby's room. There was an existing light fixture controlled by a wall switch. What I'd like to do is have the wall switch control the light; but, have the fan itself be controlled by the remote.

Below are pics of the current wiring and pics from the fan installation manual. I tested the existing lines to see where power was coming from.

What I think I need to do is pigtail a new wire to the blue line and fish it up from wall gang to ceiling box and use this as my black (hot) wire to the ceiling fan and connect the existing orange wire to the blue wire of the fan to control the light.

Does that sound correct?

The fan that I have purchased is from HD, it's a Hampton Bay Midili.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  29.4 KBName:  ceiling.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  28.3 KBName:  fan.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  19.9 KB

Old 07-07-14, 12:32 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You have conduit, correct? You would need to fish another wire. That isn't usually hard. The hard part may be that that does not appear to be a fan rated ceiling box. Changing boxes when you have conduit can be difficult for someone not use to doing it.

Old 07-07-14, 06:03 PM
G
Thanks Ray - it is conduit, confirming, my wiring assumptions mentioned below are correct after fishing the new wire through?

Secondly, I purchased a ceiling fan box with brace kit for old work. I've never put one of those in; any tips/tricks for doing that part of it? The instructions always make it sound easy; but, real life is a different story.

Old 07-07-14, 07:17 PM
With cable it is usually easy but with conduit it is more you have to be there and adjust as you need to situation with conduit. Almost impossible to give instructions. The box you use must have holes in the right place for any conduit. I'm guessing only one conduit so that may makes it easier.

Old 07-08-14, 10:32 AM
G
After taking apart the existing box I discovered there is a brace bar across the joists that attaches to the box in the center. The only downside it seems is the box is connected via only one screw; however, it is a fairly large screw. I tugged on the brace with considerable force and it was able to withstand it. It does not twist, so my guess is it was installed originally when the home was built.

My ceiling fan is 18.5 pounds, will a brace like this support the fan properly?

Name:  brace.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  24.2 KBName:  box.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  17.2 KB

Old 07-08-14, 12:11 PM
Brace is not rated for ceiling fan. The brace must be removed. You can not use the existing box because it uses ears not posts for the mounting screws (not enough threads in contact) and the screws it uses or 8-32 not 10-24. Usually you can cut the brace an bend it out of the way if you don't have access from above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: