Problem replacing light switch

Old 07-07-14, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem replacing light switch

I thought replacing a light switch would be very easy, but when i removed it I just see 2 black wires, not a red,black, and green wire. The light switch to the right of it looks like its hooked up with 2 red wires. Hmm.

What should i do???? Do i guess which one is correct? Do i remove the 2 red wires from the right outlet and do it right???

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-14, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Take the wires off the old switch and put them on the new switch. It's that easy.

You could find two reds, red and black, red and blue, black and white. etc.

Old 07-07-14, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with Pete. Don't make it any harder than it is. Two wires came off and can go back in the same manner. It doesn't matter which screw you place which black wire to, either.

Old 07-07-14, 08:19 PM
I probably should have mentioned im trying to replace it with an OnQ switch. It has black, red, and green wires.

So does the advice still stand that it doesnt matter what wires i connect the 2 black ones to it will work either way??? This is my first light switch replacement i dont want to burn down the house.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 07-07-14, 08:25 PM
Well, yeah, more information is always best. Some dimmers require the hot wire to be attached to a certain lead. What does the instruction sheet with the switch say?

Old 07-07-14, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
I probably should have mentioned im trying to replace it with an OnQ switch. It has black, red, and green wires
That would be helpful. One of those two black wires is going to be hot. You can check it with a meter or a voltage tester. It may also go to a wirenutted splice.

At worse..... if you have it connected backwards it won't work.
There should be bare copper wires where the green will connect.

Old 07-07-14, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the instructions say a specific wire must go to line and the other to load then you must determine which wire is hot using a multimeter. (A non contact tester won't work.) A reasonably good way to guess if no meter is the black wire connected to both switches is your hot wire - Line.

Note the green wire is ground.

ECHO-Echo-echo

Old 07-07-14, 11:55 PM
This is really frustrating. I was able to determine the hot wire, so i connected it to the black wire. When i turn on the fuse my lights turn on, however i cannot turn them off using the light switch. So i swapped the cables - same thing, the lights turn on, but wont turn off.

The light switch i got is a Chamberlain WSLCEV Remote Control Light Switch. It looks like the battery has to charge so i guess ill leave it over night and see if it works tomorrow. One person on amazon ran into this:

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review.., March 6, 2014
By
CarlDon - See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Chamberlain WSLCEV Remote Control Light Switch (Tools & Home Improvement)
I was very excited to put this in my shop. The switch is so far away from the back door that I have to stumble through there to turn on the lights. Got this thing all installed and it is stuck in the "on" position. The switch won't turn it back off, it just stays on. I've requested a replacement from Amazon, hopefully this one will work as it is supposed to.

UPDATE: I left the switch wired in and left the power on for an hour or so before I could go take it back off. When I got it inside I took it apart and tapped on the mechanisms inside and now it works. I don't know if it is from the tapping or from just giving it power for a little while. It seems like there is an internal battery that needs to be charged before it will operate correctly. Hopefully this helps out others.

Old 07-08-14, 12:52 AM
Group Moderator
Did you connect the green wire ?
Are you also using the correct type of bulb that the unit requires ?

Old 07-08-14, 06:32 PM
I'm about to throw in the towel but thought I would see what you guys think.

I replaced light switch #1 last night. After I turned on the power the light that the switch controls stayed on. I went to bed and when I woke up I could turn off the light fine using the switch. An hour later its broken and there's no power.

About 5 hours ago i replaced light switch #2 with another chamberlain remote control light switch. This one was easy as there was a black, red wire. I connected black to black, red to red, and connected the green one to the screw on the light switch. When i turned on the power i had the same issue as last night - the light stays on and wont turn off. I swapped the cables, same thing.

Did i do something wrong wiring it? Are the light switches bad?

Old 07-08-14, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
connected the green one to the screw on the light switch
Not sure what you did but the green wire on the switch goes to the system ground not some screw on some switch or am I misunderstanding?

Old 07-08-14, 07:11 PM
Now you are saying "switch #1" and "switch #2". Is this a three way set up, or two separate rooms?