Adding dusk to dawn sensor to switched porch light

Old 07-09-14, 11:44 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding dusk to dawn sensor to switched porch light

I would like to add a dusk to dawn sensor to my front porch light and also maintain the ability to switch the light on manually with a typical single pole single throw light switch. I have dusk to dawn sensors for un-switched flood lights at other parts of my property and wiring them up was relatively easy. However, I'm not sure how to keep the toggle switch in the circuit with the sensor and wire it correctly. Thanks, Duane

Old 07-09-14, 05:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'd like to know how to do that too. I don't how the light can be turned on, with the sensor in tact.

Old 07-09-14, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,098 Upvotes on 3,681 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Removed incorrect info.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-10-14 at 08:11 AM. Reason: brain fart
Old 07-10-14, 07:49 AM
D
Thanks PJ! I have a motion detector/flood light in my driveway that has the functionality you mention. I am not aware of dusk to dawn sensors with the same function. I wanted to use the simple tube style dusk to dawn sensor mounted on the eve of my porch. Does a double-pole, single throw relay in the circuit sound reasonable? If I flip the switch to energize the relay the light will go on, then if the dusk to dawn sensor says it's time to go on, then it would energize the other pole of the relay but the relay is already energized. Not sure if the relay would care or not? Any thoughts?

Old 07-10-14, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,098 Upvotes on 3,681 Posts
Wow... I don't know what I was thinking. You're right. That functionality is not found in a d to d senor.

You don't need anything fancy to do what you want. Just connect your single pole switch to the red and black wires of the light sensor.

Old 07-10-14, 08:49 AM
D
Thanks PJ! The d to d sensor has a black, a red, and a white wire. The black is connected to the hot and white is connected to the neutral coming out of the fuse box. Then run the red to one side and the neutral other side of the light. The light will now go on when it gets dark. If I put the switch on the red and black leads and the switch is off, no big deal when it gets dark. But lets say it was an overcast day and we wanted to turn the porch light on in the early evening. Now the switch is on and the d to d sensor is off. Again, no big deal. Now, when it gets dark and the switch is still on, the d to d sensor will also switch on. I'm wondering if there's such a thing as feedback into the hot leg of the circuit - frying the d to d sensor or tripping the fuse? Or will the circuit not care since the light is also in the circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: