Pot lights in kitchen

Old 07-10-14, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pot lights in kitchen

Hey guys,

Doing pot lights in my kitchen reno.

Planning to do 12 in upper cabinets. Was wondering how far off the walls/ cabinets should I place my pot lights for optimal lighting? I'm going to have under counter lighting as well but want to make sure I'm not casting crazy shadows all over my kitchen.

I've read 12 - 16 in from uppers to up to 3 feet. The guy who I got my lights from said 18 inches from walls / cabinets with my 8 foot ceiling.

Advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-14, 01:04 PM
Hi mopar
What's the length and width of floor plan? Easy to overdo lighting load but 18in off of the upper cab face (18+12=30in from wall) in an 8ft high ceiling places focus on lower cabinet (25in from wall) drawers (about 40in from wall when pulled out) and cabinet shelves without causing glare onto countertops or upper cab doors, so thats what I'd use as my starting point. But I wouldn't go more than 24in from uppers. The other thing to ask yourself is the spacing between recessed lights.
If you really want to get light headed heheh go to inspectapedia dot com search kitchen lighting requirements.
And of course check your local building requirements..

Old 07-10-14, 01:26 PM
Its 185 in by 125. Theres a small outcove the bay window but not much on an issue.

Old 07-10-14, 01:31 PM
That's from stud to stud... Not measuring for cabinets or anything.

Old 07-10-14, 03:33 PM
So I went with 31 inchs off each wall. The extra inch just to cover when drywall goes up. The one wall due to stud location it had to be 33-34 in to the centre. There is 6 in total.

I went with 5 feet between pots. I know 4 would've been idle with 8 ft ceiling but these are wide beam led's though I think it will be ok. (one side is slightly less again due to stud location)

The one middle pot lines right up with my fridge which is good but one problem with that. Being 30 in from the wall the center of the light lines up right with the edge of my old fridge. I'm going to go with a counter width fridge to save some space so that gives it 6 in in front or so. But seeing that the fridge is higher I figured it should be a bit further off that wall. So that one staggered. I read its better to put light where you need it than keeping it uniform and having useless lighting.

Old 07-11-14, 09:51 AM
Definitely smarter to put the light where you need it first then design around that placement, ie fridge, stove, sink. 6 recessed lights is what I got by my calcs as well + wherever you need under cabinet lights for task lighting. Led lighting works well for task light situations in the 3000 k (kelvin) rating if you like the cool white spectrum, but if you want to show off your cabinets, appliances, wall colors, etc I still go with warm white 2700 kelvin lighting.
Good luck with your project!

Old 07-11-14, 11:05 AM
Over the sink I'm planning on putting a small accent light on the same switch as the under counter to light the sink. Its just pending on how the cabinet design is going to be...