Q's: Solar landscape lighting

Old 07-11-14, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Q's: Solar landscape lighting

Need (4) good quality solar accent lights to go on top of the low 4X4" landscaping posts in attached pic.

Would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy or where to look.

The lights don't have to be very bright. I'm more worried about too much light than too little.

Online prices range from $40 for a set of 4, up to $50 or more apiece. I don't want junk that will need to be replaced in 1-2yr, and don't know what to look for or what to pay for good quality solar accent lights.

Should this be posted in "Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor"?

Thanks for any info-
Surfin

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-14, 11:18 AM
Hi surfin,
Yeah landscape lighting is all over the place for pricing. I've seen deck post lighting from $30 to $200 each light! I went to local warehouse membership retailer (the C store) two years ago, got a good price for set of 8 solar, placed them in very sunny as well as shaded and they're still going strong. Can't attest to ones quality over another, so I'll only recommend/suggest that since you're hailing from ny, you know the kind of snow load we got last winter. Seems like if it's going to be buried anyway, might as well be one that looks the way you like and can be replaced if needed.
Also, seems like you have an Asian style going on there, which works well with low casting light. Look into dark sky lighting. Hope this helped.

Old 07-11-14, 12:22 PM
Thanks for your reply LogicGrenade-

Since the lights will be useless under the snow, I plan to pop them off the posts before each winter (assume only a couple screws to remove). That should save wear/tear and extend their life.

Dark Sky Lighting would work -looking into that. Lights I'm considering:
Moonrays 91253 Solar-Powered Post Cap LED Light for 4 by 4 Posts
McFarland Cascade Terratec
Classy Caps SL211R (expensive: aluminum-3 LED's-"brilliant white light" may be too much)

Any further responses or recommended resources greatly appreciated!

Old 07-12-14, 10:36 PM
IMHO, solar lights, no matter the price are all junk. For the price you pay for a good light, you could easily purchase a LED lamp.

Old 07-13-14, 09:00 AM
no1plantman-

Thanks for your perspective. Don't know how the cost comparison breaks down 4U, but solar seems like the best option when I consider the cost and labor to wire up lights.

Still looking for recommendations for solar light brands for a 4X4" post and where to buy -anyone?