Ceiling fan w/remote: need to operate light by wall switch, fan by remote

Old 07-12-14, 12:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan w/remote: need to operate light by wall switch, fan by remote

I'm installing a Home Decorator Windward IV, a ceiling fan with light and remote. I want the light to be controlled by the wall switch and the fan by the remote.

I have three wires from the ceiling: white, red (power from the wall switch) and black (powered). The remote in the fan has a white and red to the power source; white, black and blue to the fan. When I connect the black house wire to the red remote wire (capping the red switch wire), I can control both the light and fan via the remote, but the wall switch doesn't work. When I connect the red house wire to the red remote wire (capping the black house wire), the wall switch controls the light, but when the switch is off, both the light and fan turn off.

How can I wire it so that the wall switch controls the light and the fan can still run?

Thanks
Todd

Old 07-12-14, 01:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Try:
  • House black to remote black.
  • House red to fan blue.
  • Remote red to fan black.
  • Remote blue capped (not used).
  • All whites together.
  • Grounds connected per code.

Old 07-13-14, 12:10 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That worked perfectly, thanks!

Old 07-13-14, 12:26 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Just a tip: red is usually switched, black is constant, and with remotes that further usually means black is line red is load.You wrote you were connecting the house black to remote red so that right there was a red flag. You were connecting house line to remote load. Of course no law or code stops manufactures from doing different but it is a good rule of thumb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: