adding pull chain switches...Hunter 22306

Old 07-14-14, 12:32 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding pull chain switches...Hunter 22306

I am installing two early-80's 2-speed fans on one live circuit...plan is to individually operate fan motors and lights using two pull-chain switches on each fan. Lights are not a problem, but I am unable to get the motors to do anything but run continuously at whatever speed they happen to be in. Hunter has been of essentially no help.

I am trying to use Canal CS50 3-wire switches...NTE type 54-540...for motor control. These seem decent; made in Taiwan; price is great.

http://www.nteinc.com/switches/pdf/pull_chain1.pdf

The switch wires are RED at #1, BLACK at #2, and BLUE at #3. The fans have three wires: RED; BLUE, and WHITE. From the ceiling I have BLACK...line, WHITE...neutral, and bare ground [which is atached to the hanger-bracket ground screw].

I have tried several permutations with no success. Suggestions???

bs

Old 07-14-14, 01:40 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What was controlling the fan speed before. If it was a remote the capacitors for speed controll may have been built into the remote.

Old 07-14-14, 03:01 PM
B
Ray,

I bought the fans used and re-furbished everything. They came sans switches, canopies, and switch housings. I picked up some snazzy plated housings/reservoirs. These are the cast iron fans with the oil bathed bearings. Speed control had to have been via pull chains.

Old 07-14-14, 06:40 PM
B
Hmm-m-m-m. Actually, they could have been operated as well via [a] wall switch[es]. Who knows?!?

In any case, I want pull-chain control for the simplest flexibility. I cannot find any sort of wiring diagram for the fans or the switch...frustrating. I am going to try a couple of local fan shops tomorrow to see if I can get a useful consult.

Old 07-14-14, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,090 Upvotes on 3,673 Posts
A good site for brand specific help........ Hunter Ceiling Fans - Fans - Lighting - Accessories

Old 07-16-14, 11:18 AM
B
Nope. Hunter tech support made a suggestion that did not work: line to switch black, fan red to switch red, fan blue to switch blue...noyhing moves. The available document for original-style fan says, basically, connect the wires. Tying line to fan blue and red, neutral to neutral, yields running motor. I'll try the rest of the permutations through the switch; cannot hurt.

Last edited by bsorcs; 07-16-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 11:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Using a multimeter set to ohms map the switch so you know which is line and the order of the remaining wires. Using a multimeter set to volts determine which which fan wire is line. Connect each of the remaining leads to line one at a time to determine which color is each speed.

Old 07-16-14, 07:17 PM
B
Thanks, Ray. Just what the doctor ordered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: