Garage Exhaust Fan Control (Timer & Thermostat)

Old 07-15-14, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Exhaust Fan Control (Timer & Thermostat)

Hi there.

I'm installing an exhaust fan in my garage in order to evacuate hot hair at night.
I'd like to control it via timer and thermostat.

Timer so that the fan will only come on at night at a certain time and thermostat so that, even if the time is valid, the fan will not turn on unless the garage is at a certain temperature and turn off once the garage has cooled off sufficiently.

Controller should operate on 120V. Ideally, I'd like to use a single device. Any recommendations as to the device(s) I should look at and/or at the general set up?

I'm well aware of negative pressure issues, so please no comments regarding that. Strictly looking for advice regarding the control system.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I just helped a member with this exact same idea recently. Two units were needed. I'm trying to find that thread.

Old 07-15-14, 08:40 PM
Thanks. I searched before posting but guess I did not use the matching terms.

Old 07-15-14, 09:39 PM
I think this is the thread you were referring to.

Old 07-15-14, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Good find What did you think ?

Old 07-15-14, 11:06 PM
I think the outside thermostat is overkill for me. If the fan can get to the shut off temp inside the garage during the selected time frame (say 2 to 3 hours) then it is all good for me--no need to equalize to outside temp. Plus, gotta keep costs in mind. With fan, inside thermostat & timer, I'm already looking at $110+. Hard to justify another $50+ item with marginal savings potential.

The line voltage thermostat you referred to in the thread should do the trick nicely as a mechanical thermostat like this has the advantage that the set temp does not get lost during a power outage--like w/ digital ones if you forget to change the backup batteries.

As for timer, I think I'll go with this model that has a self-recharging battery built-in and is pretty inexpensive for it being digital.

If someone else is looking at doing something similar in the future: I'm planning on using the Broan (Nutone) 509 as fan. Might have a lower CFM rate than other models but will definitely not create neg pressure in my garage.

Thanks for your help, PJmax.

Old 07-15-14, 11:31 PM
Group Moderator
Good choices. In case you decide to use a different timer..... make sure it has a neutral wire as these types of timers work well with all loads.