Ceiling Fan Project in Las Vegas

Old 07-15-14, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Project in Las Vegas

Project: Install two remote controlled ceiling fans with light kits on a, 3-way switched circuit. These are DC motors with LED lighting [Fanimation Odyn FDP8148]. No pull chains. The remotes learn the fan's unique frequency.

Environment:
1. Two "fan ready" boxes.
2. Fans each have one black, one white, and one green wire to connect.

Box # 1 had:
1. One black wire and one white wire tied together.
2. One red wire [capped].
3. Ground.

I installed the first fan black-to-black, white-to-white, ground-to-ground, and kept the red wire capped. The fan worked perfectly.

Box # 2 had:
1. Two black wires tied together.
2. Two white wires tied together.
3. One red wire capped.
4. Ground.

I installed the second fan black-to-black, white-to-white, ground-to-ground, and kept the red wire capped. Now neither fan works with the wall switches in either position.

What did I do wrong? I thought about connecting the red wires to the black, but thought I would check with someone that knows their stuff. Everything I read about this type of wiring is black is always on and red is switched for the light. But I have no red or blue wire on the fan.

These are 84" fans with nine blades and I want to get it right this time.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 08:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Red wire should have been used in both boxes. That can be confirmed by checking the wire connected to switch.

Old 07-15-14, 08:50 PM
Okay, but what do I connect the red wires to? Bundle it with black? Or use red instead of black? I only have black, white, and ground wires coming out of the fan.

Old 07-15-14, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
Try connecting the red wire to the fan's black. White to white and the grounds.

Old 07-15-14, 10:14 PM
Red traveler to the fan's black wire? Is that the solution or should I try it. Sorry, need to be sure. Don't forget i have two fans. Do I hook up both reds instead of both blacks? And where I have two blacks wired together in box # 2 do I leave them as is? And box # 1 has a single black which was connected to the white common before I installed the first fan. Still not clear to me.

Old 07-16-14, 06:53 AM
Assuming the switch controls only one light fixture there would be no reason why two wires would be hooked to the single black wire of the light? What would the second wire be for? You just need to apply logic not guess. Are we right? Odds are in our favor.
Red traveler to the fan's black wire?
No. Travelers run between two 3-way switches not to lights. If it is on a 3-way switch then the hot would be from the common but you just call it the switched hot.

Old 07-16-14, 08:15 AM
My bad! I left one minor detail out. There are two 3-way switches on the circuit I'm installing two ceiling fans. Still confused.

Old 07-16-14, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
What did you leave out ?? We assume two switches when you say three way circuit and you told us two fans.

Box # 1 had:
1. One black wire and one white wire tied together.
2. One red wire [capped].
3. Ground
Are you sure that is correct - as a black and white wire tied together does not make sense in your application. You should have a white, black and red with wire nuts on each wire.

Old 07-16-14, 08:45 AM
Yes. That is correct. It didn't make sense to me either, but Ray2047 said the white common would be hot. I suppose it's that way in case I only wanted to use box # 2?

Old 07-17-14, 06:48 PM
Still no solution. I'll figure it out myself...undoing one-by-one and report what I did to get this project across the goal line.

Old 07-17-14, 06:51 PM
but Ray2047 said the white common would be hot.
No I didn't. I said the wire from the switch common to the light is switched hot. I never said it was white. Unless used as part of a switch loop all whites at the ceiling are neutral.

Old 07-17-14, 06:59 PM
Understood, sir.
I have no idea why the black and white were wired together in box # 1. All I know is when I connected the fan black to black and white to white and ground to ground, it worked perfectly.
I have only black, white, and ground wires coming out of the fan housing.

I'll figure it out.

Old 07-17-14, 08:26 PM
I have no idea why the black and white were wired together in box # 1
If it was a switch loop they would have been connected together. Was that a 3-way switch circuit?

Last edited by ray2047; 07-18-14 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 08:25 AM
Here's my plan for Saturday morning. I don't have much free time during the week.

I'll undo # 2 since # 1 worked before I connected # 2. I'll make sure fan/light # 1 still works. Then I will put a volt meter on all the black/white/red configurations on # 2...with the wall switches in every possible position. That's the plan. I don't really need the wall switches to work since I have remotes for the fan/lights, but it would be nice to have it that way.

# 1 is furthest from breaker box. The boxes are in my lanai protected ceiling, so being "outside" would there be a GFCI receptacle on that circuit? I have no amber lights on the four GFCIs in the garage. I tested them too. I can't imagine that circuit would be on my other GFCIs for the interior wet areas and I have no amber lights on them either. The fans are rated for damp areas. I'm in the desert so it rains very infrequently here.

Old 07-18-14, 01:28 PM
The boxes are in my lanai protected ceiling, so being "outside" would there be a GFCI receptacle on that circuit?
Normally lights are not on a GFCI circuit.