Two switches to control ceiling fans with remotes..need help with wiring

Old 07-15-14, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two switches to control ceiling fans with remotes..need help with wiring

First time on here. Looking for a little help. Recently, we decided we wanted fans in all of our rooms. Our house is 1970's and had no electrical ran to the center of the room's ceiling.

We had a contractor come in and do all the wiring & install ceiling fan rated boxes. He added two switches to each room, one with a dimmer to control the light and the other to control the fan & fan speed (for the fan switches we purchased the type of switches specifically for fan control). Our plan was to control the ceiling fan & light from the wall switch.

When we purchased the fans (w/lights), they all came with remotes. The only wires from the fans are White, Black, Green (not including all the pre-wired remote wires.)

From our ceiling there are four wires, Black, Red, White & Green. Now ideally we would like to be able to use both switches to control independent functions (light & fan) and have the remote be useful as well.

How can I wire the fans to be able to control them with the wall switches and also have the remotes be useful? Do I need to re-wire the remote with the wires that are hanging from the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 11:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It was unfortunate to spend the money to have the wiring done, dimmers and speed controls installed and then bought wireless remotes. Basically it's going to be one or the other that controls the fans. They both won't work together.

Old 07-17-14, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I decided to remove the remote and wire the fan directly to work with the wall switches. Pretty easy fix. Got both switches working to independently control the light and fan speed. Plus if I ever decide to add a remote I have all the parts. Now just have three more fans to install!!