Wet or Damp Rated Bulb over Shower?

Old 07-16-14, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet or Damp Rated Bulb over Shower?

I have a new home (built 2014) and the builder put a recessed light can over the shower. Our ceiling in the shower stall is 10 ft above the shower floor. In my previous home they used an translucent trim cover over the shower light, but here they used what appears to be an outdoor-rated CFL flood light in the recessed can with no trim cover.

I want to replace the CFL with an LED floodlight bulb and I found a couple at the store: one is rated for "damp locations" but "not where exposed directly to weather or water." The other was about $10 more expensive but said it was rated for "wet locations" including outdoor flood lights.

So am I required to use a bulb rated for outdoor usage (any type of water contact) or can I use a bulb just rated for "damp locations" in that fixture?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-14, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
I would consider that wet..... I would also put a little bit of silicone grease or a tiny bit of oil on the threads of the lamp to keep the corrosion in check.

I've always supplied a glass lens when installing recessed fixtures in showers.

Old 07-16-14, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
None of that is legal.
It needed to be a sealed unit.
Right on the box for recessed lights it would have said shower rated.
There's a gasket under the trim ring.
There would be no exposed bulb the diffuser lenses would have covered it.
Inspector should have caught that.

Old 07-16-14, 06:30 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure who the county inspector is, but apparently all the houses on our street are passing without this requirement. We've walked through a number of completed homes before they closed and the SOP seems to be an outdoor CFL flood bulb in an open recessed can with no glass trim over it. I had the glass trim in my 2008 house but not here so it made me curious.

Does the 10' ceiling height make a difference? I was reading the NEC code about shower lighting and it seemed to refer to requiring "wet rated" fixtures within 8' above the shower threshold, so I wonder if that's why they're not failing inspection.