Help installing ceiling fan

Old 07-16-14, 06:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installing ceiling fan

I'm replacing a ceiling fan in my great room that is controlled with a 3 speed wall switch. The old fan has a black, white and blue wire. The new fan only has black and white. The old fan does not have a light and neither does the new fan. The new fan comes with a remote control. I want to know 1) what's the blue wire for on the old fan and 2) can i hook up the new fan and still use the wall control. The blue wire on the old fan looks like it was hooked up to a white wire in the ceiling. Please help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-14, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 732 Votes on 687 Posts
The blue wire signifies "light" or "light kit" ready. You don't need to use it.

Hook up the new fan using black, white and ground.

Old 07-16-14, 06:41 PM
T
Thanks for the help. That's what I thought, but was confused to see that wire hooked up to a red wire that disappeared into the ceiling. The blue wire was the only wire connected to it. I originally thought the red wire was white because it had paint on it. Any reason why the blue wire would be hooked up to it's own house wire if the light fixture was not installed on the fan? Also, can I just wire nut the end of that red wire or do I need to connect it to something else? Thanks.

Old 07-16-14, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 732 Votes on 687 Posts
Usually when you see red, black and white in a ceiling fan junction box - the white is neutral, the black is always live and the red is switch controlled. That is the customary wiring method.... however some electricians make red always live and black switched.

So in this case you'll cap off the red wire.

Just FYI..... you may have to replace that three speed fan control with a standard on/off switch.
Those controls and wireless remotes don't play well together.

Old 07-16-14, 09:07 PM
T
Okay, so I hooked up black to black, white to white and capped off red. The fan will not operate. I did not plan on ever using the remote. Do you think that I have to use the remote?

Old 07-16-14, 09:10 PM
T
Nevermind. I programmed the remote just to get it turned on and now I can control it with the wall switch. Thanks for your help.