light switch

Old 07-20-14, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
light switch

OK this is the problem I installed a flood light and I have wire run straight to box and straight to switch capping the white wire and jumping from black hot with another black wire to other screw but switch will not operate light.I have tried black and white to switch but it's trips breaker.The switch I have only has 2 screws on one side not any on other side.light will come on with the 2 blacks connected at switch but will not turn off and on.please any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-14, 11:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
From what you are saying it appears you have a bad switch. If you are running a cable from the panel to the light fixture, then a cable to the switch, remark the white wire with electrical tape as it become "black" at that point as a switch loop. Connect the white wire from the fixture to the white wire from the panel. Connect the white wire from the switch (remarked) to the black wire from the panel. Connect the black wire from the switch to the black wire to the fixture.

Old 07-20-14, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I really appreciate your help I have worked on this for 2 days and could not figure out what the problem was. Your instructions was very clear and after following the instructions I now have it working correctly. Thank you very much.

Old 07-20-14, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Glad it worked out for the better!!