Florescent light fixture won't turn off

Old 07-21-14, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Florescent light fixture won't turn off

I installed a new florescent light fixture in my wife's closet and it won't turn off when the door is closed (it has a door jamb activated switch). I changed out the door jamb switch but that did not solve the problem.

Here are the details. There are two, three wire pigtails coming out of the ceiling. Each has a white wire, black wire and bare copper ground wire. On one pigtail the black and white wires are hooked together with a wire nut. On the other pigtail the white wire in connected to the white wire from the light fixture. Black wire from the pigtail is connected to the black wire on the light fixture. Bare copper ground wires from both pigtails are twisted together and grounded to the light fixture. This is the exact same wire hookup as the light fixture in my closet which works fine. The new light fixture lights up as it should but will not turn off when the door is closed.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-14, 09:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
On one pigtail the black and white wires are hooked together with a wire nut.
That sounds like a switch loop. There should be no pigtail there though there may be blacks from other cables. The light would not connect there.
this is the exact same wire hookup as the light fixture in my closet which works fine.
But may not be. Many factors involved in how a circuit is wired. There is no one way.

Here is a basic switch loop. Notice the light black connects to a single wire. In fact any time there is more then one wire to the light black that should be a red flag. (There are exceptions but are rare.)

Name:  Sw_Loopb-1_zps69e9ba8b.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  19.5 KB

Old 07-21-14, 09:40 AM
Received 80 Votes on 74 Posts
On one pigtail the black and white wires are hooked together with a wire nut.
It seems to me white to white and black to black. I assume the switch is wired integrally to the light. In other words it's prewired. Follow the path of the electricity. Power enters...White is neutral and should all be wired together. Black is hot and goes to light and internally to the switch and then to the actual bulb.

Old 07-21-14, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Move the fixture black to the black in the cable where the white is spliced to the black.