Help with ceiling fan/light wiring

Old 07-27-14, 06:32 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with ceiling fan/light wiring

Hello Forum

Here is my situation

In my home in both the bedrooms the ceiling fan/light combo is being controlled by a single pole switch in the wall box. Interestingly, the wall box has another switch in each of the rooms which seems to do nothing. I am thinking these were somehow rewired by the previous owners.

Here is the wiring in the box

3 romex cables coming in- 2 have 3 wires each(black, neutral white and ground) and the third incoming romex has 4 wires which include an extra red in addition to the above mentioned.

The two single pole switches are wires as this

1st switch- red and black
2nd switch- black and black

All the blacks are actually connected to each other- so of the three blacks coming into the box one is separately wired to the 2nd switch(above) and all the rest are joined.

Here is what I want to do

I want separate fan and light controls at the wall by using one of the Lutrol controllers. Can someone help me figure out if this is possible. I am thinking that the two romex wires coming in the box with 3 wires(black, neutral white and ground) are coming from the fan and the fan light respectively. and the 3rd romex with 4 wires is the live wire.

Thanks

Old 07-27-14, 09:03 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
2 have 3 wires each(black, neutral white and ground)
Actually a 2-conductor cable, grounds aren't counted.
the third incoming romex has 4 wires
That is a 3-conductor cable.
I want separate fan and light controls at the wall by using one of the Lutrol controllers
What is the wiring at the ceiling? What model number Lutrol controller?

Old 07-27-14, 10:34 AM
A
Its a lutron MA‑LFQM. I have not checked the wiring at the ceiling. What should I be looking for?

Old 07-28-14, 08:44 AM
J
I WOULD EXPECT the two romex wires coming in the box with 3 wires(black, neutral white and ground) ARE HOT IN AND OUT

I WOULD EXPECT the 3rd romex with 4 wires is the WIRE TO THE FAN.......IF THE RED WIRE FROM 1ST SWITCH AND A BLACK WIRE FROM 2ND SWITCH GO TO IT

I WOULD EXPECT THE OTHER BLACK WIRE ON EACH SWITCH TO BE HOT AND CONNECTED TO THE 2 BLACKS IN THE FIRST 2 CABLES

I WOULD EXPECT ALL 3 WHITES TO BE UNDER 1 WIRENUT

Old 07-28-14, 04:19 PM
A
Thanks John. That makes sense.

The lutron controller has 3 screws(not counting the ground).

One will take the light wire, another the fan. The third gets the black hot wire. I am still left with one more black(the outgoing black). Where should this go?

Thanks.

Old 07-28-14, 07:19 PM
J
Thanks John. That makes sense.

The lutron controller has 3 screws(not counting the ground).

One will take the light wire, another the fan.

The third gets the black hot wire. I am still left with one more black(the outgoing black). Where should this go?ALL 3 OF THESE GO UNDER 1 WIRENUT
HOT IN HOT OUT HOT TO SWITCH

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: