Landscape Lights Working Erratically

Old 07-27-14, 12:45 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Landscape Lights Working Erratically

Hello everyone,

I have some outdoor landscape lights at the front and back of the house that are all connected to an Intermatic ML900TW which is a 900 watt landscape light power pack/transformer/timer. The lights are a mixture of halogen flood lights and basic, low light domes. There are three sets of low voltage wires running to it so I have six terminals with wires connected to them.

When I turn on the power pack only some of the lights in the back will turn on. I cannot get the lights in the front to turn on though sometimes they turn on with the timer but they won't always stay illuminated. They sometimes just turn on for a few seconds and then turn off.

I inspected the wiring especially the parts where the lights connect and I couldn't find anything wrong. I also reset the timer and time of day following the instruction manual. I feel like the problem points to a short circuit somewhere or perhaps the power pack has a defect. I also am wondering if I have overloaded the power pack's 900 watt limit though I would suspect that none of the lights would turn on if that is the case. Has anyone had a similar problem like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-14, 07:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would eliminate the timer first. Then take it from there.

Old 07-28-14, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 761 Votes on 715 Posts
If any of the lights work at all then the transformer and the timer are ok.
You have three separate lines from the transformer to your lights. It seems like one line is ok and two are intermittent. You would need to check for voltage at the first light on each run to see if the power is getting there. You may have broken underground wiring or bad splices.