Light flickering

Old 07-27-14, 12:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light flickering

I put a wrong bulb w.rt size into my light fixture (that holds 4 bulbs) in the restroom. The wrong bulb immediately fused. THen immediately i switched off the light and removed the wrong bulb. The fixture only had one working bulb to start off with initially and now that bulb keeps flickering. I tried putting another good compatible bulb into another socket and that flickers as well. Each socket needs a max 100W type A bulb. Could you please advice me to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-14, 06:17 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would try all new bulbs first & take it from there.

Old 07-28-14, 06:27 AM
A
Received 51 Votes on 49 Posts
One oversized incandescent bulb (lamp) in a fixture designed for four bulbs with some of the sockets empty will not blow the fixture immediately.

An undersized incandescent bulb will not create any problems.

Most likely there were some loose or corroded connections in the fixture or in its circuit all along. It is extremely difficult to repair or resurrect a fixture with the wires riveted to the sockets and becoming corroded therefore you will want to replace such a fixture that is not an antique. The fixture should not be left on for more than a few seconds at a time for testing since loose connections with any sized bulbs will heat up and get worse, possibly starting a fire.

Old 07-28-14, 06:56 AM
J
I agree with allan....change the fixture or change the lamp holders.

Old 07-28-14, 01:05 PM
R
thx for the responses. do you have any systematic troubleshooting to diagonise the problem with faulty sockets, faulty fixture wiring, faulty switch , faulty other wiring before i decide to fix the socket or fixture?

Old 07-28-14, 01:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Check that all connections are tight. If they are then parts replacement is the usual test procedure.

Old 08-06-14, 10:08 AM
R
thx the connection between the neutral wire connecting the fixture to the junction box was not tight. once i did that everything seems to be normal. with this small diy , i understand how complex the internal electrical circuits at the homes are.