How would you hang this?

Old 07-28-14, 04:59 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How would you hang this?

I have a 2' long light fixture and I'm wondering if I should use the 7/8" hole in the center to hang it. The bracket shown below could be screwed to the box in the ceiling through the slots in the bracket, then I think I can screw the fixture into the holes in the bracket when the bracket is perfectly positioned. But I think it would be easier to use a threaded pipe through the center hole in the bracket and fixture and some nuts. I'm not sure if I could buy a little section of pipe like that with matching nuts, can I? Should I? And I think I'd need a washer for the center hole in the fixture because it's larger than the center hole in the bracket.

Name:  bracket-new-fixture.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  33.3 KB

Old 07-28-14, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If it is a fluorescent fixture with a cover for the ballast, you can mount the case directly to joists, eliminating the need for the spanner. Pull the cable through the hole in the fixture (using a strain relief) and wire it up. The fixture itself is a junction box.

Old 07-29-14, 07:52 AM
B
That's what it is but my ceilings are thick plaster, concrete, and rebar. I'd rather take advantage of the two holes in the electrical box. If the ends of the fixture sag then maybe I'll drill through the ceiling but I'm hoping they don't.

Old 07-29-14, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Upvotes on 179 Posts
If you mount that fixture over the electrical box you will need to cut a box sized hole in the fixture to allow access to the wires.

Old 07-29-14, 03:10 PM
B
I figured out that if I mount the fixture through the center hole, like a chandelier, it could spin a little when I try removing the diffuser, so I'm going to buy a bushing for the hole and feed the wires through the bushing.

Old 07-30-14, 04:54 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Look's like the slots in the fixture should line up with the box screws,so put a bushing in that knockout and use those screws,forget the plate.
Geo

Old 07-30-14, 09:11 PM
B
I installed the bushing but I had to drill new holes in the fixture because the pre-punched ones weren't in the right place. I didn't drill the holes in the right place to avoid the plate...it would have been hard anyway. I just drilled them along an imaginary line that's perpendicular to the length of the fixture, which will work with the plate in the proper position.

Unfortunately, I also have to use the holes at the ends of the fixture and drill into the ceiling to make all four corners of the fixture flush against the ceiling. I got plastic anchors for that. I've had better luck with screws and anchors than tapcons.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: