How do I move ceiling light fixture over a foot?

Old 08-01-14, 04:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How do I move ceiling light fixture over a foot?

Currently, I have two pendent lights over my island. The lights have round junction boxes in the ceiling. I'm installing a new island and moving it over about a foot. That'll make the lights completely off center of the island. I don't think I can move the junction boxes over because there isn't enough slack in the wire, and I don't want to tear everything up to run a new wire. We're planning on getting new lights. Do I have any other options to center the two lights? Will something like track lighting work?

Here is a picture:

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-14, 05:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Switch to light with a swag chain and center the hooks. over the island. Use surface raceway (Wiremold).

If there is no obstruction between the new boxes and the existing ones install old work boxes and fish cable from existing box to new box. Cover existing box with a blank and paint to match ceiling. Existing boxes can't be buried.

If accessible attic turn existing boxes into the attic and add new boxes running new cable from existing to new. Patch ceiling. Be sure attic boxes remain assessable.

Old 08-01-14, 09:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the answer Ray. I stopped at the lighting store over lunch. It looks like track lighting with a blank panel for one of the outlets is also an option.

Old 08-01-14, 10:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If one light feeds the other and no other cable is in the box you can abandon the cable by disconnecting and rendering unusable and then remove that box and patch the ceiling.... or just use a blank cover plate.