Light kit in ceiling fan issue!

Old 08-02-14, 09:22 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light kit in ceiling fan issue!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3744
Size:  31.0 KBThe lights all blew in my fixture at the same time and when I used my multitester to diagnose the issue I have good connection thru the switch up to this point (where my finger is pointing ) . Then the connection stops there... I'm good with electrical but minimal experience with electronics... I'd like to diy fix this but don't know where to start, a google search of the part number hqm-190a (of the plastic enclosure the circuit was in) revealed not much, except one guy saying he removed the board and the light worked.... Not sure if that's safe...

What is this part? And how can I remedy this without buying a new light kit? It's not a ballast bc it's not cfl...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 09:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not sure but it may be a current limiter. They are there to meet legal requirements for limiting the wattage of bulbs used. Technically you aren't supposed to bypass it because it is a legal requirements. Functionally no danger if you remember to keep bulbs at or below recommended wattage or use CFLs or LEDs. Best practice since the limiter, if you can find one, probably costs almost as much as a new generic light kit is to just replace the light kit.

Old 08-02-14, 09:37 AM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
What model fan is it? It's hard to tell from that pic where the other wires go,will the fan run?
Geo

Old 08-02-14, 12:56 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The fan runs fine... This light kit has two input wires from the fan that run it.
Fan is cdu-205

Ok a few questions then... If I bypass it and use cfl or LED won't I still need a limiter? I've done lots of LEDs in boat/truck applications and most need resistors wired in so you don't burn out the led..

Old 08-02-14, 01:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I meant regular screw in medium base CFLs or LEDs that are substitutes for incandescent bulbs. Even incandescent bulbs can be used as long as you follow the maximum wattage requirements. All the limiter does is turn off the power if you use too high a wattage bulb.

See also: http://diy.stackexchange.com/questio...my-ceiling-fan and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WeWSKNe64A

Old 08-02-14, 04:55 PM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Contact Craftmade's tech support Contact Us - 1-866-203-5392
And see what they have to say.
Geo