Fixture buying tip - ask clerk to remove and replace diffuser

Old 08-02-14, 03:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixture buying tip - ask clerk to remove and replace diffuser

My old kitchen light had an extremely easy to remove diffuser. You just press the side in, which was very easy, and two tabs would exit two holes in the diffuser, then it would swing down allowing access to the bulbs while still being attached on the other side by two springy things. My new fixture has four tabs attached to the diffuser that are very hard to engage and disengage from the base of the light. It felt like I was forcing it off and one of the clips flew off of the diffuser and I saw little plastic crumbs from where it was attached. Next time I'm going into a lighting store and asking to see the diffuser removed and replaced. If it's difficult, I'm walking out.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 732 Votes on 687 Posts
Do you have a question for us.

Old 08-02-14, 07:02 PM
B
I thought tips were allowed in this section. I saw the "Hints, Tips, Tricks and Sharp Advice" section but above it I read "No Specific Category or Forum For A Subject of Discussion Above? Post it Here." And there was a specific category for lighting, so I posted it in Lighting.

Old 08-02-14, 07:43 PM
Received 168 Votes on 153 Posts
It wasn't quite clear. It seemed more like a rant. But that's OK.

That reminds me of a incident that happened to me last week. A young lady comes into the store and asked me if I can replace some cheap plastic clips that held a draw front on. These are specific to the dresser manufacture and I told her no I could not. She then said that she knows it is a cheap piece of furniture but right now its all she has. I told her to bring it in and maybe I could come up with a makeshift fix. About an hour later she shows up with the draw and front piece.

Understand that we are small home improvement chain of stores competing with Big Blue, Big Orange and others the likes of Hectors, ACE and Service Stare hardware stores. Customer service is our only "catch" to keep clients coming back.

I show her how to use four angle brackets and using a drill to pilot the holes and a Philips screw driver and some glue to fix it. She tells me that she does not have any tools. I begin to gather all the tools and supplies she will need along with the cost as it rises way beyond what the damn draw is worth. I stop and say wait a minute why don't I just fix the whole thing right here and now. And proceeded to do so as the boss and others watched. The cost was about $3.00 for brackets and screws. My time, about a half hour. She pays her $3 bucks and then tries to give me a $5 tip. I refused and told her no I can't. But instead to just remember she won't get this kind of service from the others. She was ecstatic and all smiles as my boss and the others just looked and shook their heads. Made her day and mine. I love my job!

Old 08-02-14, 08:02 PM
B
I know, I had to work a little rant in there. I mail ordered the fixture a few months ago and drilled holes in it and in the ceiling so I felt stuck with a poorly designed fixture that could easily break the next time I change a bulb.

Good work on the customer service.