Exhaust fan installation. No power.

Old 08-03-14, 12:19 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exhaust fan installation. No power.

Hello!

So an exhaust fan installation turned into an all nighter and I'm still stumped.

Our plan was to install a bathroom exhaust fan with a seperate switch and bridge power to it from the light switch. I wasn't sure if a 3 way switch would be useful but we also have an On off switch as well.

Anyways, we wired everything and the fan will not cut on.

The light switch only has a Hot and Neutral.

I tried to let the exhaust fan hot and neutral touch the wires with the light switch on but it will STILL not power on (knowing this is dangerous with the fuse box power on).

The exhaust wires DID cut the lightbulb on with the light switch off when I touched the wires.

If this is the case, should the exhaust fan still power on since we are running both wires with only one switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-14, 01:50 PM
J
in your switch box..............do you have one single pole switch............with one cable............with a black wire and a white wire......................with both wires hooked up to the switch.
if this is the case..........you only have a switch leg from the light fixture. you do not have a neutral in the switch box. you would need to obtain your neutral from the light fixture box.

feed the fan from the light and the one switch would work both fan and light

Old 08-03-14, 02:45 PM
The light switch only has a Hot and Neutral.
Mike,
This is a common mistake when first learning to wire. As johnsc said, you don't have a hot and a neutral at your switch box, you have two hot wires.

The source power comes in at your light fixture, Black, White.
The source White will go to Fixture White.

The source Black will connect to White going to switch.
The Black coming from switch will connect to Fixture Black.

Basically what you're doing is "breaking" the source hot by sending it down to the switch and back up before connecting to fixture.

Please post back if you want to connect fan to light, which will both turn on using same switch...
Or if you want a separate switch for light and fan.
Either one will involve running additional cable, not real hard though, especially if you have an attic.