Old Ceiling fan/light has only one hot wire

Old 08-03-14, 01:16 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Ceiling fan/light has only one hot wire

I am replacing the ceiling fan/light in my kitchen. I just took it down. The wires coming out of the ceiling are a copper ground, the white neutral, and a black hot (yes I checked it with my volt detector), for a total of three. Then the hot goes to a wire nut where two hots come out. I guess one is for the light and one is for the fan.

I replaced the ceiling fan in my bedroom and that had a two hot wires coming out of the ceiling. So is this set up in my kitchen OK?

Thanks for your time

Old 08-03-14, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Off the black wire in the ceiling, do the other two wires go anywhere, or are they pigtails for the fan? If there are more wires in the ceiling box, let us know what color they are and what they are connected to.

Old 08-03-14, 01:55 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is only one hot wire coming out of the ceiling. Whoever installed the old fan/light used a wire nut to attach two wires to the single hot wire so that the fan engine and fan light were running off the single hot wire. It seemed to work OK. I am just asking if this set up is OK overall.

Old 08-03-14, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I lost a post. Yes that is OK. Both hot wires from the fan will be attached to the one hot wire from the ceiling box. Of course this means both the fan and light will be operated via the same wall switch, and you will have to make adjustments via chain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: