hot wires no power

Old 08-04-14, 12:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hot wires no power

I have 2 rooms that have no power. When I chk power at receptacles and switches by testing blk and white with my Sperry I get 0 volts. When I touch either the blk w/the ground or the white with the ground I get 120 volts. The breaker is not tripped and 2 other rooms are well lit that are also connected to same breaker. Breaker is two 15 amp switches in one breaker. How do I get lights and outlets to work? Appreciate help.

Old 08-04-14, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 892 Upvotes on 753 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds to me like you have an open neutral. Normally you should not get 120 volts from neutral to ground unless there is a load in between some place. Start by opening the first working, or last non-working box in the circuit. It will likely be closest to the electrical panel, but could also be in the light fixture. This will be an Easter egg hunt so take your time and look in each box for anything wrong.

Also many time the issue is back stabbed devices. If you find any, you might want to move the wires to the screws.

Old 08-09-14, 09:53 AM
J
Thanks for help. I found all the switches and receptacles are back stabbers. One receptacle had a black wire disconnected could be the problem however there are three blacks and three whites but only two screws on each side. Where do I connect the extra wire?

Old 08-09-14, 10:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You can make a pigtail of the same size (gauge) wire, connect the three blacks to a black pigtail with a bcap and do the same with the whites. Then connect the pigtail to the receptacle.

Old 08-09-14, 10:04 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
there are three blacks and three whites but only two screws on each side. Where do I connect the extra wire?
You wire nut the wires to a pigtail same gauge and color and the pigtail to the receptacle.

Old 08-09-14, 10:40 AM
J
OK I am now getting 75v coming in to all receptacles. when I turn the light switch on I have no power to receptacles. On the switch at the beginning of the circuit I have two screws on 1 side with a blk wire attached to each 1 and the 2 wte wires are capped off together inside box. On the switch in bedroom I have 2 screws on 1 side with 1 blk attached to top and 2 blk to the bottom and the 3 wte wires are caped off in box. Could one or both switches be bad or wired wrong?

Old 08-09-14, 12:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
2 blk to the bottom
Redo those as a a pigtail connection to the screw. I'm guessing one is back stabbed. Backstabbs are notorious for causing failure.

I am now getting 75v coming in to all receptacles
If you are using a digital multimeter that is probably a false reading assuming you are reading a disconnected hot to neutral or ground. An analog multimeter would probably show ~0v.

Old 08-12-14, 07:03 PM
J
Thank you gents for putting up with this novice. Your site is a blessing. I have power to the rooms and I would like to know how this site stays afloat because I owe you something besides a thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: