How To Build Hardwire Ceiling Pendant?

Old 08-07-14, 04:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How To Build Hardwire Ceiling Pendant?

Hello DIY Community!

I'm just gonna jump off into my question. Be aware that I may not be using the right terminology. I read the terminology thread but this is all new to me so there is a learning curve.

I crafted a lampshade and I'd like to hang it from a ceiling pendant. The frame has a washer flush top spider ring. 15" bottom ring, 6" top ring, and 9" ribs, all tack welded together. I stripped the old interesting shade to the "bones", scraped the glue off and spray painted the steel. I want to hang about 100 14mm octagon crystals with 12mm claps from the frame. (Not sure how heavy it will be)

I looked at the pendant kits at the big box stores but I don't like them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36032[/ATTACH]
I absolutely hate that the white plastic socket threads are showing and the aesthetics of the whole thing is acceptable but not exactly what I'd love to have.

I'd rather have something like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36034[/ATTACH]
Unfortunately this is a wall plug-in, not a ceiling hardwire.

So I found some websites selling parts and I've found some DIY tutorials for plug-ins. I can't seem to find hardwire tutorials.

Could you folks help steer me in a direction to find instructions?

Here are the parts I've found and questions I have:

I like this keyless socket.
ANTIQUE BRASS KEYLESS MEDIUM BASE E-26 LAMP SOCKET WITH 1/8ips FEMALE CAP. RATED MAXIMUM 660W 250V. UL LISTED E224663.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36035[/ATTACH]
Lamp socket? Can I use that for ceiling fixture?

I like the twisted fabric cord.
18/3 TWISTED BROWN CLOTH COVERED WIRE, SOLD BY THE FOOT.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36036[/ATTACH]
They also have a 2 conductor. Which one do I use?
Also, I'd like to showcase this twist fabric. I'd rather not use a chain but will if the weight of the DIY chandelier is too much. Opinions please.

I assume I'll need these:
USED FOR SVT TYPE WIRE ANTIQUE BRONZE STRAIN RELIEF WITH 1/8ips MALE, 5/16in. LONG THREAD.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36037[/ATTACH]
Or something else?

Now, here's the extremely hard part. I can't find instructions anywhere for building the ceiling hub thingy.

What will I need besides a decorative ceiling plate? (Like a crossbar or something?)
If I use the strain relief bushings am I limited to purchasing one with a 1/8 hole in the center?

I hope this all made sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if your advice is, "forget it, it's too complicated, you'll kill yourself, just go with BB kit".

p.s. I don't know how I attached this picture below or how to remove it. This is another example of what I'd like, but this one is also a wall plug-in!!!

Attached Images       
Old 08-07-14, 06:23 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Why not just change the bulb holder on a factory pendent to one you like?

Old 08-07-14, 06:38 AM
M
That would be an easy fix. What would I be looking for, part name?

EDIT: Oh, it's called bulb holder. This does not look super easy either.

Old 08-07-14, 05:41 PM
M
Alright, I'm starting to figure this out, building from scratch that is.

If an internal ground wire is present in the junction box, and you have it attached to the mounting bracket, is there a reason why you still need a 3 wire cord and grounded light socket (3 terminal) for the pendant assembly?

Old 08-08-14, 10:14 PM
M
No response?

Let me try again. I'll start off with some simple questions (I think).

Tell me the difference between 18/3 and 18/2.

Description: 18/3 TWISTED BROWN CLOTH COVERED WIRE, SOLD BY THE FOOT.
Size: 3 CONDUCTOR TWIST

Description: 18/2 TWISTED BROWN CLOTH COVERED WIRE, SOLD BY THE FOOT.
Size: 2 CONDUCTOR TWIST

I assume 3 conductor means that it has a Neutral, Hot, and Grounded.
And the 2 conductor has only a Hot and Neutral.

Am I correct?

Attached Images  
Old 08-09-14, 07:21 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Tell me the difference between 18/3 and 18/2.
If you are talking about cord not cable it means there are three wires. One of which can be used as a ground. All metal parts should be grounded. Usually the ground is green or bare. The neutral in cord is either white or has an identifier such as a ridge. Neutral must be connected to the threaded shell the bulb screws into. The third wire, hot, goes to the tab inside the bulb holder.

Old 08-10-14, 11:41 PM
M
Just wanted to let you know I talked to 3 different professionals independent of each other. They all gave the same instructions. I know exactly what Im supposed to do now.

And I ordered my parts from [commercial link removed] There are some cheaper part suppliers, I could have saved myself $5 bucks ordering from them, but Paul at [commercial link removed] provided some EXCELLENT customer service- worth more than $5!!

Last edited by ray2047; 08-11-14 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Remove comercial links and endoesement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: