Garage light connected wrong?

Old 08-12-14, 08:45 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Garage light connected wrong?

I just recently purchased a new house. It was a fixer upper, and has some dubious repairs. In the garage there is a wall light, controlled by a switch next to the door. I think it taps into a kitchen circuit inside the wall. Originally there was no fixture box. It is just a porcelain one bulb light and the wires ran directly out of the wall into it. I added a receptacle for the fixture, but I'm not sure about the wiring. There is just a black hot wire running to the light, and then up inside the wall. The switch does have both hot and neutral wires. This light has always flickered now and then. When I tried a CFL in it it flickered wildly. When I tried a LED bulb, it didn't work at all. I am not an electrician but can do simple things like tapping into a circuit, or changing outlets and fixtures. What I am not sure about, is this wired properly? Shouldn't there be both a neutral and hot wire attached to the light fixture? I would like this switch to control a ceiling light if possible, but am afraid to tinker with it. Could someone with more knowledge than me, please chime in?

Old 08-12-14, 09:08 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There is just a black hot wire running to the light, and then up inside the wall.
The light would not function on a wire. Do you mean a cable with at least two conductors?
The switch does have both hot and neutral wires.
A simple switch would not have a neutral connected to it. Do you mean a black and white wire on the switch. (Just because a wire is white does not mean it is a neutral.) Please tell us all the wires in the switch box and at the light and how they are connected.

Old 08-12-14, 10:49 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ray,
I mean exactly what I said. There is three wire romex, in the wall. It is cut and both the black and white wires run to the switch, but only one wire the black runs to the light, and then back up in the wall to wherever it goes. One single hot wire! Like I said, it does not work with anything other than a incandescent light bulb. If I put in a led bulb or a cfl bulb it does not work. Well it sort of works with a cfl but it flickers wildly.

Old 08-12-14, 10:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,290 Upvotes on 1,228 Posts
What is the wiring in the fixture box where the light is?

Old 08-12-14, 11:30 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
But you said neutral not white. They aren't the same. Is the light series wired to the black? One black in, one black out? Is there no white in the ceiling box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: