Help to fluorescent fixture from water?

Old 08-12-14, 08:50 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help to fluorescent fixture from water?

I'm using my greenhouse to grow veggies through winter. I'm building 4' high tables to go along the inside walls. I'd like to grow greens on top of the tables that do not need grow lights and tomatoes and peppers underneath those tables with 4' long T5 fluorescent lighting hanging underneath the tables. The light fixtures have the power cord coming out of the middle of the top of the fixture.

Any ideas on how to protect the lights so that the water from watering the plants on the tables above the fixtures doesn't make contact with the lights? I haven't built the tables yet.

I could really use some troubleshooting advice.

Old 08-12-14, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
Get waterproof fixtures intended for exterior or wet location use. There is no practical way to convert fixtures intended for indoor use to outdoor or wet location duty. You can try and protect them from water but you've still got a fixture not designed for handling water or weather.

Old 08-12-14, 10:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
And be sure the fixtures are plugged into a GFCI protected circuit. I'd suggest gluing sheet vinyl or FRP to the table top above if it isn't a solid surface. You might even make it a shallow pan with a drain

Old 08-12-14, 12:28 PM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Why not just reverse the locations for the greens and peppers?

Mount the fluorescent lights up top,
use a fish tank pump on a timer and a bucket to water the top level,
let it drip down to water the lower levels.

if necessary, a blue tarp can isolate the lower level from the fluorescent lights

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: