Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

How to replace a "Progress 300w" Landscape lighting transformer with a "Malibu"

Old 08-13-14, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

HI,

My existing "Progress 300w" died on my recently. They go for around $370 to replace.

I was hoping that a Malibu 300w would be ok to replace it which around $100Name:  Landscape lighting wires.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  24.6 KB.

There are two 2-wire cables coming out of the ground from the landscape lights. (See attachemtent for a picture). On the old Progress Transformer, one wire from each cable went to seperate terminals (hot). The remaining wires, one from each cable, went to a "common" terminal.

Here's the problem. There is no "Common" terminal on the Malibu system. What am I suppose to do with those wires?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update:

I have 2 lines coming in as noted in the picure of my 1st post. On the new Malibu transformer, I took 1 wire from each line and connected it to terminal-A. I took the remaining wires (one from each line) and attached it to terminal-B. I checked and I am getting 12V from the transformer terminals. The lights do not work.

How can I check the lines coming in? I'm suspecting a lighting strike because they stopped working during a bad storm. The old tranformer was confirmed to not be working.

Old 08-13-14, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
A Malibu transformer will work fine there.

If the lightning strike was close you may have lost all your bulbs too. You have the transformer connected properly. Use a meter and check for voltage at the first light. If you don't have a meter try changing a bulb.

You may find all the bulbs black.