My bathroom needs a vent fan

Old 08-17-14, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My bathroom needs a vent fan

Hi! I just bought a 1969 house and neither bathroom has a vent fan. The 2nd floor bathroom won't be as tricky as I can access electrical from attic. But the main floor bathroom only has 1 outlet and a light located above mirror, above vanity.

My question is can I power a vent fan and switch from an outlet from a bedroom located next to bathroom? I figured it would be easier to access wire directly behind bedroom outlet vs the entire vanity wall to find the wire from light above mirror (located at entrance). I am thinking it would be easier to have a wall mounted vent vs ceiling.

Any advice?? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-14, 09:22 AM
I'll let someone else address electric. How do you plan to run the ductwork to the outside?
If you plan to recirculate the fan into the room, it's hardly worth the trouble.

Old 08-17-14, 09:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The one problem I see with a through-the-wall fan is the inevitable backlash of cold winter air that will fill your bathroom. You need to keep the electrical in the bathroom circuit. Running the fan off the light itself is doable, although there won't be a separate control for the fan. Not bad, though, since many people forget to turn on the fan when showering.

Old 08-17-14, 04:43 PM
I hadn't researched the wall vent fans but assumed they would be just as insulated as the ceiling fans. Good to know I need to stay on the bathroom circuit. So it sounds like the best way is to remove an area of the ceiling so the fan can be vented from ceiling to outside wall and then also an area of wall so I can access power from light above mirror. I'm fine w/just have 1 switch as most people forget the fan when it's needed (KIDS!)

Old 08-17-14, 05:05 PM
Yes,
That's the best and easiest way. I'd place fan in ceiling, vent to outside, Hook up power to existing light.

While you're planning, try to determine which way your ceiling joists in the bath are running. If they are running parallel to the direction you want to run your duct to outside wall, this would be good.

Old 08-17-14, 05:08 PM
Thank you! Hopefully I'll get lucky and joists will work w/me!

Old 08-17-14, 05:16 PM
So it sounds like the best way is to remove an area of the ceiling
Yes,
If you get lucky with joists, you may only need a few small holes rather than ripping out large sections of ceiling.