Dusk to Dawn Lights turns off when treadmill is running

Old 08-18-14, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dusk to Dawn Lights turns off when treadmill is running

First of all, i like to say i've been lurking in this forum for awhile and i found many useful tips on many how-tos. Now, i decided to join because i got a strange problem. i have 2 dusk to dawn lights installed outside my garage. I also have a treadmill in the garage plugged in. There is no problems with running on the treadmill in the day time. however, when i run on the treadmill at night, the 2 Dusk to Dawn Lights turns off. it will not go for 2 days. it will come back on on the 3rd night. the breaker never trips. i tried turning off the breaker switch, then turning it back on after. the 2 lights will never come on. No electrician is able to pinpoint the issue. Any pros out there have an idea to why this occurs?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-14, 04:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Just grabbing at straws, but there could be vibration issues. If the lighting runs off the same receptacle as the treadmill, remove the power and pull,the receptacle. The installer may have used stab back connections, which prove to be poor. Remove the wires to the screws. Check the switch that operates the lights as well,as the same condition may exist.

Old 08-18-14, 06:05 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Not sure how to make this determination, but is it the power to the lights that is going away or the lighting controls inside the lights? Since you say two lights it would sound like it is the power feeding them that is going out, unless both units have the same quirk.

A mechanical issue as Chandler suggested is a good place to start. I have seen connections open and close with heat, but none with the regularity you mention.

Bud

Old 08-18-14, 01:43 PM
thanks for info! i am at work right now but i'll check when i get home. i am pretty sure its back wired because the socket is exposed and there is no wires coming off the side. The treadmill socket feeds from another socket that goes the 2 lights.

How is back wiring a bad thing? it is legal and conforms to building code right?

Old 08-18-14, 01:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It conforms to code, but you have remember "code" is a minimum. There is only a thin metal blade that is spring loaded to bear against the bare wire. Vibrations, movement, differences in the metals can cause looseness that you definitely won't have if the wires under the screw heads.

Old 08-18-14, 06:22 PM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
I wouldn't expect you would have a problem in the daytime ,the photo cell would have them off,is there a way you can connect the treadmill to a different circuit?what I am thinking is that the TM is drawing more power and possibly dropping the voltage enough to shut off the lights.
Geo

Old 08-18-14, 06:32 PM
Just a thought. As Geo said, a voltage drop may be triggering the lights to turn off. My dusk to dawn lights can be forced off or on by turning the switch off for varying lengths of time. I didn't see where your lights are wired through a switch, just powered via a breaker.

Bud

Old 08-18-14, 11:51 PM
i just did some research just now. so there is a GFCI socket upstream. this is one that splits to the 2 dusk to dawn lights. the treadmill is downstream. one problem is, i cannot reset the GFCI socket.... i push and hold the reset button in, but the test button never pops out. Either the GFCI is bad or could this be the voltage problem??? however, when i plug a night light into the GFCI socket, there is electricity. Also, there is electricity downstream as it splits off to the garage door opener and a fluorescent lamp. Maybe i need an electrician on this. I am stumped!

Old 08-19-14, 05:56 AM
Are the lights in question continuously powered or through a switch?

Bud

Old 08-19-14, 07:27 AM
the GFCI might be bad.

it might be wired backward.

sometimes the reset button must be pushed beyond the face of the outlet.

How is back wiring a bad thing?
BACKSTAB IS BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

it is legal and conforms to building code right?

YES.................A LOT OF LEGAL STUFF WILL KILL YOU.

Old 08-19-14, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts
BACKSTAB IS BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD
What kind of answer is that ?

The poster asked WHY it's a bad thing. Backstabbing means to just push the wires into the holes in the back of a device. Little metal spring clips keep tension on the wire to hold them in place and make actual contact. The problem happens with age and heavy electrical draw thru these connections that the metal spring clips loosen up allowing for a poor connection that will eventually heat up to the point where the clip fails and there is either no more connection or it's intermittent.

Old 08-19-14, 03:12 PM
the lights are powered continuous line coming from the behind the GFCI receptacle.the wires are tied together with some wire nuts.

Old 08-19-14, 03:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is it on the line side of the GFCI? Have you replaced and redone the wire nuts?

Old 08-22-14, 10:07 PM
yes its is on the line side of the GFCI. i have not replace the wire nuts. should i do that? could it be a bad GCCI receptacle since it doesn't reset?

Old 08-22-14, 10:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it is on the line side it doesn't go through the GFCI so your okay but you might want to temporarily bypass the GFCI as a test.

Replacing the wires nuts is a good way to "accidentally" fix a bad connection.

Old 08-22-14, 10:30 PM
Ok, i made a mistake. i just opened up the GFCI. the wire nuts is coming from the Load side. then from there it splits off. one to the lights and another to the receptacle where the treadmill is on. another strange thing just happened, the lights came on but when i turned on the treadmill, its off again.

Old 08-22-14, 10:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts
If you have devices that are on and are connected to the load side of the GFI receptacle and you can't reset the receptacle.... the wires are on the receptacle backwards or the receptacle is defective.