Harbor Breeze Saratoga Ceiling Fan - How to bypass remote?

Old 08-21-14, 08:42 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Harbor Breeze Saratoga Ceiling Fan - How to bypass remote?

Hey all,

I just purchased a Harbor Breeze Saratoga Ceiling fan from Lowe's.

I would have preferred to purchase Hunter brand, but this Harbor Breeze was the ONLY fan I could find with the hand carved style wood blades.

Anyway, From looking at the instructions, you can't wire a switch at all. You just connect it to constant power straight from the breaker and control it 100% from the remote?

While my current fan has 2 Switches, one for lights and one for the fan, I am OKAY with using the remote for the fan control, but I would rather have a switch for the light. I don't need or want diming ability.

I don't see any possible way to connect that? Short of removing the remote unit all together, in which case the fan would run a full speed every time it was turned on.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

-ThaChad

Old 08-22-14, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,151 Upvotes on 3,728 Posts
We would need to know which remote receiver that used or what colors were connected to it.
Many of the receivers have the motor capacitors in them and that's one reason you can't remove the remote.

Maybe you can just bypass the light section. Pictures of the internal wiring would be real helpful.

Old 08-23-14, 07:31 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, as you suggest, I could just remove the light section from the remote and wire it separate. I looked at the whole thing a bit closer. I removed the "Power Limiter" for the light kit, as it doesn't even allow the use of LED or CFL.

I ended up wiring it to the switch, the remote receiver defaults to the last setting when power is restored. So I just leave the light on and turn it off/on with the switch, then I can turn the fan on/off with the remote. (Obviously I can turn the light On/off with the remote as well).

Thanks for the help.

-ThaChad

Old 08-24-14, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The remote controls are above the motor if you want to remove it altogether and direct wire it we can help you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: