new light switch will not work

Old 08-23-14, 02:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new light switch will not work

need help from the experts on this one. I wanted to replace my light switch that controls my exterior flood light. So i removed the existing light switch, installed the new one connecting the 2 wires in the same place, and it wont work.

I thought the issue is the light switch was 20amp not 15amp, so i bought a 20amp light switch - same issue. I tried another 15amp light switch thats illuminated. It doesnt work either, but when its off the switch illuminates which means there's power.

There's only 2 black wires. ive tried swapping the wires, and ive used the ground wire on one of the switches, but the previous switch did NOT use ground and i dont think its required.

Any thoughts? I double checked all the wire nuts, i made sure the ground wire isnt touching any other wire. Everything was working with the old switch, but it still doesnt work when i try the original light switch.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 08-23-14, 02:33 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Did you shut the circuit off before you started? Check the bulb just in case.
Geo

Old 08-23-14, 07:24 PM
S
Thats a good idea. I turned off all power to the house while installing the switches. The switch controls a floodlight that has 2 bulbs that worked before i did this, but i guess its possible they both went out. Ill try another bulb just to rule that out.

Old 08-24-14, 06:10 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
You can also remove the 2 wires from the switch and wirenut them together and see if the lights will work, also check the other wirenut connections in that box to make sure they are tight.
Geo

Old 08-24-14, 08:05 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What was the reason for installing a new switch? Was there a problem?

Old 08-24-14, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Bypass the switch and connect the 2 wires together with a wire nut. The light should come on. If not you have other issues then the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: