fluorescent ballast replacement

Old 08-24-14, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fluorescent ballast replacement

Hey all,
The ballast in my 4 bulb T8 fluorescent fixture stopped working so now I'm trying to replace it. The new ballast requires a different wiring so I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

If you look at the attachment, you'll see that the first drawing shows how the bad ballast is physically wired along with the schematic.

The second drawing shows my interpretation of the schematic for the new ballast. I think this is correct but I'd like to make sure before I start messing with anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Will this work?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-14, 06:57 PM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Look's fine to me.------------------
Geo

Old 08-24-14, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
#2 is OK except you should use both wires from each socket to connect to the wires from the ballast. The sockets appear not to be shunted based on the original wiring.

Old 08-24-14, 08:50 PM
Thanks for replying! I just question myself because I'm not an electrician and I'm, for the most part, just using common sense to decipher the schematic. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

I found it odd that I couldn't find a ballast that was like the one that was originally in the fixture at the big box stores.

This new ballast seems to be sectioned off into two parts. If one light goes out, does that mean that the other light will also go out if it is on the same circuit(not sure if "circuit" is the right term)?

The way the other ballast is wired, it was separated into four separate parts for each individual light. I'm not sure but this seems like this would make for a better ballast because one light going out wouldn't have an effect on the other lights.

Old 08-24-14, 08:54 PM
Tolyn,
So I should use/combine both terminals on the tombstones? Is that what you mean?
Thanks again.

Old 08-25-14, 02:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, combine both wires.

Old 08-25-14, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Yes, combine both wires.

Your old ballast is an old style before they shunted the sockets, the new ballast is what is used today. The old one is not a better ballast then the new one. They will will perform the same. If one light goes out the rest will stay lit.

Old 08-25-14, 11:16 AM
Upon closer inspection, the sockets that go to the yellow wires are shunted but the other sockets do not appear to be since they have 4 places to insert wires(two on each side of socket). I didn't even know that there was a difference til now.

Thanks for the input folks. I feel more confident tackling this repair now.

Old 08-25-14, 03:50 PM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Sorry, looks like I missed that one.
Geo

Old 08-26-14, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Newer ballasts can continue to operate one lamp if one has failed. Older fixtures both tubs went out.