Problem Installing New Dimmer into CFL Torchiere

Old 08-26-14, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem Installing New Dimmer into CFL Torchiere

I'm trying to replace the ballast/dimmer switch in a CFL torchiere. The 3 sections of the lamp post are held together with nylon interlock rings, rather than removable metal threaded inserts. I can't pass the dimmer switch control past the interlock rings, as they restrict the diameter. I've thought about cutting into portions of one of the inserts to make more room. This could cause a problem if the insert loses its tension in the barrel, from being cut, making the interlock with the next post section impossible. I have tried to unscrew either of the interlock rings, but the nylon is really very delicate and the interlock tabs are already showing signs of wear from the effort. Any further attempts will probably destroy the interlock tabs.

A drastic remedy I'm contemplating, is to cut a rectangular opening in the side of the section containing the switch hole, and inserting the switch into the opening. This large opening would have to be hidden by positioning the lamp so it isn't visible to occupants.
Anyone have success removing the nylon inserts in this type of torchiere?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-14, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! How have you determined the switch is bad? Just curious. Are you using dimmable CFL's? Not all CFL's are dimmable.

Old 08-26-14, 08:13 PM
The ballast holding the lamp died, not the dimmer switch itself. The original switch was a dimmer for 2D style CFL, and the replacement is also a dimmer. Since dimmer switch and ballast are "married", the original dimmer switch also has to be replaced.

Old 08-26-14, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 520 Votes on 490 Posts
I'm a little confused. The ballast went bad and the replacement includes a new ballast and a new dimmer control based on type of lamp.

Aren't you using the same lamp ?
Have you tried the old dimmer with the new ballast ?

Old 08-27-14, 01:41 AM
It's a generic replacement dimmable torchiere cfl ballast. The dimmer switch on the new unit has components on it thst are in the original ballast. It's completely different from the original. It seems you're not experienced in tackling repair of no name china sourced consumer goods such as lamps, power tools, fans, blenders, etc. I can get genuine parts for name brand washers and dryers and my car. There are no genuine replacements for chinese dimmable cfl torchieres. Maybe if you buy an $800 halogen designer torchiere, you'll get better treatment. In my case, I need to improvise, and look to clever people on a forum to help out.

Old 08-27-14, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
I consider myself an expert at most electronic repairs. I've been servicing electromechanical devices for over 40 years. Without seeing what you have there and are working with all we have to go on is guesses and what you tell us.

We (the American public) wanted products that didn't cost a lot and that's what's coming from China. In order to keep prices low they buy all their components cheap and stock nothing for repair. There are basically no replacement parts for most products that come from China.

Old 08-27-14, 12:12 PM
Never posted pictures before. Hope they're here
Name:  IMG_0177.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  18.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  20.5 KBName:  IMG_0187.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  16.3 KB

Old 08-28-14, 01:51 AM
Group Moderator
The pictures are good.

Is the clear plastic protective cover over the dimmer assembly removable and if removed will the control fit then ? Those plastic locking pieces are glued in place and would probably crack if tried to be removed.

If you did cut an access port in the black tubing you maybe able to glue it back in place.