Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Put light in shower and bath fan outside shower? Or just put bath fan in shower?

Put light in shower and bath fan outside shower? Or just put bath fan in shower?

Old 08-28-14, 07:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am adding a bathroom to my basement which includes a 60" wide shower. Bathroom is approx 10 x 6 (not including shower). Because it is in a basement, some of the joists near the shower have duct work so my options are limited in terms of where I can put a can light and bath fan/light.

Option 1: Put an LED can light in the shower centered 15" from the back wall (this is pretty close to the wall) and then have the fan/light 2 joists over (just outside the shower) centered 45" from the back wall. Will this look dumb since they are so close to each other?

Option 2: Ditch the LED can light and just put the fan/light centered 28" from the back wall

See below. Thoughts?

There is no window in the bathroom and the only other light source will be a light above the vanity. If I go with Option 2, should I add an LED can light in the middle of the room?

Name:  bath2.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  25.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
Personally.... I'd go with option 1 but I'd make it just an exhaust fan (no light) and a light (can) in the center of the room.

Old 08-29-14, 03:35 AM
Would you still put the can light in the shower?

Old 08-29-14, 04:27 AM
Would you still put the can light in the shower?
yes. sometimes it is nice to see what you are doing.

Old 08-29-14, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
Sure... the light in the shower helps find the nooks and crannies.

Old 08-29-14, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
If the fan is over the footprint of the shower or tub it will need GFI protection. Lighting above the shower does not.

Old 08-29-14, 01:13 PM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
I'm waiting for my 60" shower to arrive and wiring for 2 cans in the shower area. Maybe it is age and I'm (we) are just forgetting where everything is, but good lighting can't be too good. Mine will then include the combo light/fan a few feet outside the shower, centered on the room so about 3' out from the shower.

Curious, are you putting a header across the front of the shower or leaving the shower ceiling flush with the basement ceiling? Yours may not be a full 8' but my wife has insisted "no header".

Bud

Old 08-29-14, 03:22 PM
No header. I will have low ceilings (7 foot) - just barely enough to make code. So there wouldnt be any room to put a header even if I wanted to