Replacing 2 ceiling fans, both on same wall switch; wiring question

Old 08-29-14, 12:23 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing 2 ceiling fans, both on same wall switch; wiring question

I'm replacing two ceiling fans on my patio. Both fans are connected to one wall switch. I've already got one done, looks and runs great. I just took the other one down and found that it is wired differently than the first fan.

1st old fan wiring: Black house wire to black fan wire; beige house wire to beige fan wire; bare ground house wire to green fan wire; red fan wire is capped off (no light kit).

I wired the new one the same except for some color variations: Black house wire to black fan wire; beige house wire to white fan wire; bare ground house wire to green fan wire; blue fan wire is capped off.

Here's where I'm confused.

2nd old fan wiring: Black house wire to black fan wire; beige house wire to beige fan wire; bare ground house wire is wound up inside the electrical box; green fan wire is cut off; red fan wire is capped off.

Why is the ground wire not connected to the green fan wire like the other fan? Why would it have been cut off? Does it have something to do with the fact that both fans are on the same switch? I was tempted to just wire it the same as I did the first fan since it's working beautifully but decided I should get an experienced opinion first.

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance.

Old 08-29-14, 05:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Does your tester show juice in the second ceiling box (black wire)? If it does, connect the blue fan wire to the black ceiling wire.

Old 08-29-14, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
What you are calling beige is actually white that has probably yellowed from age or heat.
Both ceiling fans should be grounded. When you put up the second fan you should connect the new fan's green wire to the bare ground.

Old 08-29-14, 05:42 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Why is the ground wire not connected to the green fan wire like the other fan?
Lazy or stupid previous installer.
Does it have something to do with the fact that both fans are on the same switch?
No. Grounds are safety only. They have nothing to do with the operation of the fan.
switch? I was tempted to just wire it the same as I did the first
Yes, that would be fine. Connect all grounds together. If the box is metal also pigtail the ground to the box.

Note: "beige house wire", no, faded white wire.

Old 09-10-14, 11:39 AM
B
Thanks!

I took the advice and wired the second fan the same as the first. I now have two working fans and can tolerate sitting on my patio again.

Old 09-10-14, 11:41 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: