ceiling fan wiring going wrong?

Old 08-30-14, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan wiring going wrong?

I have a ceiling fan that I installed a couple years ago. Fan worked ok except the lights would always stay on. Decided that I wanted to run a new wireless switch. Pulled the fan down and ran the new wireless control box (last fan had on but they would not work together). I installed the new wall box but it only has a ground wire. The wiring from the the wall switch has a red wire going to the switch and a black wire. I pulled the ceiling fan down again (getting really old and heavy by now) and did not find a red wire but a Blue wire. I capped off the blue wire when I hung the fan the first time because I was not called for. I also have a brown wire up there. So in the ceiling I have a black, white, blue, and brown. Well the fan is not working at all now. No lights or fan. What wires should I hook up? All the white wire and black wires a wire tied together. I made sure the ground was attached. It is like when I unhooked the red wire I lost power to the fan. Should I hook the blue wire up to the white in the ceiling? (it does have power). Just would like to get this working again and would really like the wall switch over a handheld remote. Also this fan does not have any chains.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-14, 11:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
black, white, blue, and brown
Is your wiring method conduit?
I installed the new wall box but it only has a ground wire.
Why just a ground wire? Is it just to hold the wireless switch? If no power wires why any wires?

Old 08-30-14, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes the grounding wire is for wireless. The wiring that I can tell that goes to the ceiling fan is red, black and white. From what I can tell the switch is basing the control on a constant power to the fan.

Old 08-30-14, 01:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes the grounding wire is for wireless.
Why?
The wiring that I can tell that goes to the ceiling fan is red, black and white.
Then what did you mean by, "black, white, blue, and brown"?
From what I can tell the switch is basing the control on a constant power to the fan.
Not sure what you mean. Can you explain in a different.