Wireless light switches??

Old 08-30-14, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless light switches??

Soliciting advice and opinion:

I have a back porch the width of my house. Walls are brick, ceiling is nice old beadboard. Don't want to get to invasive for something simple.

On one end of the porch, I have a light fixture. I'd like a like a light fixture over the other half of the porch, which is the seating area. I don't mind running a discreet cable from the existing light to the new light, but don't really want to then run a cable to a switch, which would require conduit, etc. And would prefer not to have a pull string dangling either.

What about a wireless light switch? I've seen them on the shelves at the hardware store. Seems like a good solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-14, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you wire the light from the existing fixture, you won't need another switch. Wireless switches still require hard wiring to the fixture, unless there is a remote unit mounted in the fixture similar to ceiling fans.

Old 08-30-14, 05:32 PM
I should've been more clear, I'd like to be able to control the lights independently. They're quite far apart. The power comes into the existing light fixture, so I will tie into that and run to the new light.

In other words, the existing light isn't really part of the equation.

Old 08-30-14, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you can get uninterrupted power to the second light you may benefit from remote control RF switches Remote Switches > Self-Powered Wireless Controls > Lighting Controls > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products
You would need a receiver in the fixture and the switch would mount on the wall surface.

Old 08-30-14, 06:10 PM
I think that's what I'm looking for.

So anybody that has used one, satisfied?