Ceiling Fan/Light with Remote; Light does not work

Old 09-01-14, 06:40 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan/Light with Remote; Light does not work

Hopefully this is not a repeat question. I looked through some threads but could not find quite what I was looking for. Here's my situation; I bought a home, and the master bedroom has a Hunter ceiling fan/light combo with remote installed. I have a single light switch that controls both the fan and light. So when I turn the switch on, fan and light come on. The remote works for the fan speeds and will turn off the fan, however, the light button on the remote does not work but the red light on the remote lights up when I hit the button; so it seems the button is working, but nothing happens with the light. My first thought was the wiring of the fan was wrong, so I took the fan apart. It seems the wiring from the ceiling is just for a normal light fixture; meaning it only has a black, white, and copper wire. Also, coming from the fan, there is only a black, white, and ground. I have the black-black, white-white, and green-ground. The light fixture snaps directly into the fan, so there is no wiring issue there. So I guess my question is: is my remote just bad, or is there an issue with the wiring? Should I have more wires coming from the ceiling/and or fan itself? Thanks.

Old 09-01-14, 06:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! From your ceiling you have one cable with Bk, Wh, Bare. It should connect to a remote receiver box in the fan's canopy. Do you see that? You are obviously getting power to,the remote receiver since the fan works properly. Are all the wires that come off the remote receiver box securely attached to their corresponding wires to the fan/light?

Old 09-01-14, 07:02 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's just the thing, I did not see the remote receiver. It's not in the fan mount, or in the canopy. I even took the canopy around the fan motor off, still no receiver. I concluded that it was built in to the fan itself but I could be wrong. I've installed these before and never had any issues. I thought of buying a universal remote with receiver box, but I'm not sure how I would wire that since I only see a black/white coming from the fan itself. Shouldn't that have a blue for the light?

Old 09-01-14, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The receiver has to be replaceable. Some have the motor speed control components built in which means you'd have to use an original replacement.

Can you post the model name or number for your fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: