Determing Hot/Neutral from swag cord

Old 09-01-14, 07:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Determing Hot/Neutral from swag cord

Hello all;

I am replacing old ceilings fan in my spare rooms. They were just screwed into a beam, with the wiring done with a swag cord. The swag cord is white with only 2 wires, so no ground. Anyway, in order to wire my new ceiling fan I need to know which wire is hot (black) and neutral (white). Both wires are white and I can find nothing to indicate which one is hot.

Ive tried using a voltage tester but it appeared to show each wire as hot. So does it matter which swag cord wire i connect to my fans black wire, and the other to white? How would I tell which one is black?

Yes i know i should have taken a pic before disconnecting the old fan, but it was not resting on a bracket when i removed the 3 screws it literally fell off the ceiling.

Thanks

Old 09-01-14, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Technically that is not a code compliant method of wiring for a fan.

How do you get power to the white zip cord ?

Old 09-01-14, 09:06 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not an electrician so i dont care if its not fully code compliant. I just want to know which wire goes to which. My swag cord is a typical white cord with a chain with a 2 prong plug on the end, such as this one on amazon:

Robot Check

Old 09-01-14, 09:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Ribed conductor is usually neutral. Verify with a multimeter set to ohms Wide blade is neutral. If plug isn't at least polarized it shouldn't be used.
I'm not an electrician so i dont care if its not fully code compliant
But the other people it may hurt do. Code isn't about being an electrician. It is about safety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: