Replacing sensor in post light?

Old 09-02-14, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing sensor in post light?

The old sensor had two black wires, the new has 1-Black 1-White & 1-Red.

First off, I didn't find a breaker for the light post, or a wall switch, and when I put a tester on the two post wires with the sensor removed, I don't get any power. Should I assume there is an issue between the post and the power source? None of the breakers appear to be tripped.

Comments are most welcome,

Dale in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-14, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dale, you may have a GFCI tripped in ght garage, etc. that you don't know about. It may be that your sensor is not bad.

Old 09-02-14, 04:33 PM
I checked all GFCI breakers and non were tripped, or sound funny. All GGCI's in the main panel are working, as I checked each outlets they control.

I found NO breakers for outside lights.
Shouldn't I get a light on my tester when I probe the two wires coming out of the post?

Thank You so much.

Comments are welcome and needed.

Dale in Indy

Old 09-02-14, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking more of a gFCI receptacle somewhere, hidden by boxes or bushes, not breakers.

Old 09-02-14, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Shouldn't I get a light on my tester when I probe the two wires coming out of the post?
Not necessarily if it is a non contact tester but maybe. Only a multimeter, or test light can tell you if you have an open hot which would indicate a tripped GFCI receptacle, breaker, or bad cable.

Is the light supplied by a cable? If so what color is the cable jacket?

Old 09-02-14, 08:01 PM
I am thinking that on the front outside of the house I will find an outlet with a GFCI, so will look tomorrow in the daylight.

All I found in the post is two black single wires, no cable seen.

The new sensor has 3 wires, am I to assume that I need to connect the RED, & BLACK from the new sensor to one of the BLACK post wires, and then the WHITE to the other BLACK post wire? That's the way I read the instructions. It had just TWO BLACK wires on the old sensor.

Thank You both,

Dale in Indy

Old 09-02-14, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
You should have one black wire and one white wire. You may need to use a multimeter and an extension cord with ground plugged into a grounded receptacle to determine which is neutral (white).

Old 09-02-14, 08:50 PM
Received 29 Votes on 22 Posts
Once you get the supply wiring figured out the new sensor black wire will connect to the black supply wire only (two wires with a wire nut). The sensor white wire will connect with BOTH the white wire from the lamp socket AND the white wire of the supply (three wires with a wire nut). The sensor red wire will connect to ONLY the lamp socket black wire (two wires with a wire nut).

The three-wire sensor is actually better than the original two-wire sensor as it will allow you to use a CFL light bulb instead of just incandescent.

Old 09-03-14, 09:43 AM
Ok, getting closer...

Found on the outside front of the brick home a tall thin junction box, with conduit coming from the home, then going into the ground, and most likely to the lamp post. It is a straight shot, approx. 20 feet. NO GFCI found though, house was built in 1999. $250,000. home.

Inside the home I found a regular grounded outlet and after removing the outlet, I can see the cable going from such and out thur the wall to the junction box. The outlet has power, and connections from it going outside appear ok.

I am heading to Michigan in the morning, so buttoned up the post, and will explore more next week. I think my next step is to remove the lamp assembly from the post, and see if I can see any issues. I will first locate the circuit breaker for such. I did see a WHITE wire in the opening of the post, so I'm sure when I get the lamp off, I can determine more on the wiring.

Thank You. I will stay in touch.

Dale in Indy

Old 09-17-14, 12:05 PM
Question replacing sensor in post light?

Ok,

* The main breaker panel is MARKED that bedroom 3, & hall are controlled by a ground fault. None of these rooms have a Ground Fault box/outlet.

* I found the outlet in bedroom 3 has wires going from it OUTSIDE to a junction box mounted on the brick surface, then wires in the box going into a conduit that goes in the ground, and to the lamp post.

* There is power at both outlets, then a WHITE and BLACK jumper wire approx. 12" long is connected to the duplex outlet, then heads outside to the junction box. Within that box is this 12" jumper, and is connected to the cable going to the lamp post.

* I DON'T have POWER at the end of the jumper line, but as stated POWER at the working duplex outlet. The wires seem fine, and tight at the duplex terminals, but as stated, NOTHING at the end of the jumper.

* I have never found a Ground fault outlet as stated on the main circuit panel.

* Could the duplex outlet be defective, yet still working? Should I replace the jumper line from such to the outside junction box?

* Why is the main panel marked ground fault, when I can't find such?

Thank You for hearing me out. Been out of town, so haven't had an chance to work on this issue.

Dale in Indy

Old 09-17-14, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Is the junction box outside really a conduit body not junction box.

Name:  LB50.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  10.8 KB
then a WHITE and BLACK jumper wire approx. 12" long is connected to the duplex outlet,
How? If it is inserted into holes in the back of the receptacle (back stabbed). That may be your problem.

Old 09-17-14, 03:26 PM
Yes, it has that style box, but in front of it is a rectangle JUNCTION box, where the 12" jumper from the duplex is wire nutted to the line that goes thru the box pictured above, and then into the conduit headed towards the lamp post.

Yes there are TWO wires STABBED into the duplex. One was sticking out a tad, so I pushed it in, but that didn't cure the issue. They seem tight, at least they won't pull out....

Should I remove and fasten to the screw terminals on the sides of the duplex?

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

Old 09-17-14, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Should I remove and fasten to the screw terminals on the sides of the duplex?
Unless there are unused screws no. Only one wire per screw is allowed. Connect all blacks to a pigtail and the pigtail* to the brass side of the receptacle. Connect all whites to a pigtail and pigtail to a silver screw on the receptacle.

*Pigtail: A short piece of wire 6"-8" long the same gauge and color as the other wires it is connected to.

Old 09-17-14, 04:39 PM
Ok, I will do just that. I understand fully.

We will be out of town for a few days, so will report back early next week.

We are not at that home right now,

Dale in Indy

Old 09-17-14, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Is it a cable or two individual wires running to the light? I ask because you said only two black wires at the lamp post. That is a problem for multiple reasons that needs to be addressed.