Halo Recessed LED Cans

Old 09-03-14, 07:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Halo Recessed LED Cans

Do the Halo LED cans come with a light in them? Why are they so expensive? Can you use LED bulbs in them or only the Halo LED modules?

Old 09-03-14, 09:15 AM
The Halo LED cans only provide a wiring box for connection to household 120V.
The bulbs (modules) are expensive because they contain both the LED lights and drivers.
If allowed by your local code you can save money by using regular Halo housing with Edison base socket and purchase LED bulbs that screw in.
The screw in LED bulbs are a little expensive, but quite a bit less than modules.
The true LED can lights are designed to prevent using an incandescent bulb, as there is no socket.
Mostly, these were designed to meet CA Title 24 requirements.

Old 09-03-14, 10:48 AM
S
Ahh I see, thanks. I want to add recessed lighting to my living room, which currently doesn’t really have any overhead lighting (annoying). There’s a couple small ceiling lights near one of the corners that are pointing down at the walls, but they’re not great for lighting if you want to read something sitting on the couch. The room is about 17 x 17 x 7.5, and I was thinking of putting up 2 rows of 3 6” cans. But then I the 4” on display and I liked the smaller look better. Would the 4” be able to disperse the light well enough, or would 6” be more appropriate?

Old 09-03-14, 12:20 PM
I would go with 6". 17' is a lot of space to cover. 6" also offers more trim and bulb options.
2 rows of 3 cans may not put out enough light for you. It will light the room, but more like mood lighting.

You may want to go with 2 rows of 4 and use a dimmer if you find it's too bright.

Old 09-03-14, 12:31 PM
Let me correct that.
Stick with 2 rows of three. 2 rows of 4 will be too crowded IMO. I was thinking of 17 feet by about 24 feet.

Old 09-03-14, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 204 Upvotes on 178 Posts
A 4" is fine for accent or task lighting but is too small for general lighting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: