Can I replace this Casablanca wall switch?

Old 09-04-14, 11:50 AM
N
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Can I replace this Casablanca wall switch?

The home we recently moved into has this wall switch installed which controls the ceiling fan and the lights on the fan:
Name:  fan.jpg
Views: 12017
Size:  22.4 KB
I have no idea what model the fan is. Is there any way to easily know if I can buy a different wall switch that would have different fan speeds? Right now, as you can see, it's either on (very high) or off. I'd like to be able to run it at different speeds.

The fan I have looks something like this (though many years older...):

Casablanca 55058 Panama 54" 5 Blade Ceiling Fan - Blades and Light Kit Included - LightingDirect.com
Name:  fan2.jpg
Views: 5481
Size:  9.4 KB

Thank you.

Old 09-04-14, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Are you sure you can't get multiple speeds by pushing the fan button multiple times?

I'm just guessing, but that looks like it might be a remote control, not an actual wired switch. Do the buttons "click" when pushed?

Have you taken it out and looked at the wiring? That will tell you if you can use a generic replacement. If it only has 2 wires it's some sort of RF remote.

Old 09-04-14, 12:09 PM
N
Hmm. When I press FAN it makes an electronic 'beep', no physical click, and the fan turns on. press again and fan goes off. tried holding it, pressing rapidly, etc. but can't get multiple speeds. there are many similar models (Ceiling Fan Remote Controls & Wall Controls - LightingDirect.com) that do offer 6 speeds, but perhaps mine is just so old that it doesn't... i'll try to take it off later and see what I find (wires, model #, etc..)

Old 09-04-14, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
They still sell that exact control it looks like. There are 2 that look identical but have different model numbers.

Casablanca - Ceiling Fan Controls

Old 09-04-14, 02:02 PM
N
Thanks, but is there any way to know if either of those two models will work with my older fan?

Old 09-04-14, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry, I hadn't looked at your link before, so you already knew they still made similar. Maybe after you get the model number off yours an e-mail to Casablanca will get you a manual if needed or tell you a comparable replacement. There online support is pretty lacking.

You'll probably get a quicker (though maybe not much more informed) reply from lighting direct.

If yours is a W-84, a W-85 should give speed control. Looks like these are both supposed to be replacements for the older W-34...but several reports that they aren't. You'll need to see which one you have. Should be on a label inside.

I saw several comments about the control failing to function correctly after 3-4yrs.

Looks like (according to FAQs in your link to the W-84) the W-84 doesn't change speeds remotely, though Casablanca says it does. Maybe Casablanca means if you manually change the speeds...lol.

I still prefer pull chains with just an on-off switch for power. Guess I'm old school...heck, I still have a dumb flip phone.

Old 09-04-14, 02:11 PM
N
Thanks so much for the follow-up!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: