Two Sets of Wires Going to One Light

Old 09-12-14, 12:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Two Sets of Wires Going to One Light

Hello, I'm remodeling a bathroom and want to change the light over the shower area to an exhaust vented light.

However, when I removed the old ceiling fan (yes, a ceiling fan was over the shower in this place I just bought), there are two sets of wires in the junction box. That's two 14/2 (or 12/2) that are going to the box. Both blacks were joined and both whites were joined. It all looks original.

I looked at the switch junction box for clues and there is one wire set for power, and one wire set going to the switch (I presume). The whites are connected and the blacks go to the switch.

So why are there two sets of romex going to the light? There are no other lights/fans in the bathroom except over the sink vanity which has a separate switch (in a separate box).

Thanks in advance. -Tony

Old 09-12-14, 12:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
So why are there two sets of romex going to the light? There are no other lights/fans in the bathroom except over the sink vanity which has a separate switch (in a separate box).
My guess is something was changed and the cable abandoned in place incorrectly. All I can suggest is to open every box on the breaker and look for clues.

Old 09-12-14, 12:33 PM
T
Thanks for your reply Ray. So you know nothing NORMAL that would have 2 sets going to a fixture box (besides feeding another fixture on the same switch)?

Old 09-12-14, 02:09 PM
Well it would have two if it is a switch loop but not connected that way. It might have two for a ceiling fan if motor and light has separate switches but the cable blacks wouldn't be connected.

Old 09-13-14, 03:49 PM
T
OK, it looks like I posted too early. I cut a hole in the ceiling to install a new light/exhaust vent and found that the one set of wires were just 3 feet long and went no where and were laying on the insulation in the ceiling! Thanks for your help however!

-Tony

Old 09-13-14, 04:15 PM
found that the one set of wires were just 3 feet long and went no where
Ah HA! I was right.
My guess is something was changed and the cable abandoned in place incorrectly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: